Dermal Anchor gone bad!

«« Oral piercings.    Piercing studios »»

Sunday October 28th, 2007 @ 11:50 PM

Filed under: Surface/Unusual

Hey, thanks a bunch for the answer Lori.

Well, I did find a piercer in Adelaide who had recently started doing Dermal Anchors. Me being excited I of course wanted to get one.

My friend had her belly done and that was fine. It was my time, from what i had researched about dermal anchors and just from my observations while being pierced i thought it would be fine. He did the piercing slid one foot in than the second and i heard a “click” i saw the threading poking out of my skin, the piercing than went on to tell me that there was an extension he had to unscrew to be able to screw the top on.

He undid the extension, by this time i wasn’t actually watching but i saw there was quite a bit of blood. Within a few minutes he had lost the tip of the piercing that poke out the skin under my skin, he was unable to find it even after using the same needle to make small incisions into my arm to try and find it.

They sent me off to a Medical clinic where i than had x-rays to find the jewellery under my skin than i had to have it cut out of me, stitched up and now ill be left with a nifty little scar.

They ended up trying to throw the blame on me telling me that it got stuck under some fatty tissue and that its not there fault and it couldnt be helped?

Now im no expert but is that really suppose to happen when done properly?

Thanks a lot for any help!

To the Constant Reader, this is in reference to this post regarding artists in South Australia.

What a dreadful experience, you poor thing! Of course it was not your fault, it was absolutely the piercer’s fault, and I’m horrified at the lack of professionalism involved from that studio to even blame you or claim that it could possibly be anything other than the piercer screwing up the procedure. I can only hope that at the very least, you didn’t pay a cent for any part of the procedure, and they should’ve paid your costs of the medical treatment (I assume that Medicare would’ve covered part of it). If you were out of pocket for any part of that experience, I’d personally be consulting solicitors about the experience right about now - but hey, I’m from the States originally, that’s kind of how we roll over there.

Again, I repeat (and add one more piece of information) to my advice from the previous post: When researching new/super trendy/technically difficult techniques such as dermal anchoring:
Ask the artist if they do them and how many they’ve done, how the procedure is performed and to explain what techniques they are using (if they screw it into a threaded taper for more leverage to insert it, they need to bloody well hang onto it with haemostats while unscrewing the taper and putting on the attachment, or else you get a very real risk of Exhibit A up above), how they learned to perform the procedure, how many they’ve removed and at what point in the healing process, what their success rate is, and for pictures of fresh and healed work. I also suggest you enquire as to who manufactures the jewellery they’re using, as there are a tonne of low-quality jewellery manufacturers in Asia flooding the market with poorly polished, garbage 316 steel copies of the high-quality titanium Industrial Strength microdermals, and that junk jewellery is dirt-cheap enough that I’d imagine all the bargain-basement mall piercers will be offering microdermal procedures at low, low prices. As with everything in life, you get what you pay for.

Again, I can give you artists in almost every state or territory of Australia who’ve done lots of microdermals and have portfolios of their work to show you, EXCEPT South Australia and Tasmania. Do your research and wrap your head around the idea that it may well be something you’ll need to travel to have done well - you must be going on holiday somewhere at some point, yes?

Best of luck with the healing and treat that scar with Mederma so it’s not too bad! :)

Posted by Lori St.Leone | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

16 Responses to “Dermal Anchor gone bad!”

1. l_r_alex (the OP) sent in a new entry that I think is better as a comment to the existing entry - seriously, guys, USE THE COMMENTS SYSTEM! Anyway, here she is:

Hey again,

Thanks heaps for taking the time Lori. And actually to be honest i was hoping to go on a little road trip stopping in Darwin around January next year. I may be wrong but I assume you perform Dermal Anchors at your piercing studio?

If so ill definately be paying you a visit !

The wound is healing up pretty nicely, dosnt seem like a scar will be left.

Once again thanks a bunch for all the info, it just sucks, I live in a state where it seems professional piercing studios are close to non existant, maybe its time to relocate!

Yes, we do dermal anchors at my shop, I’ve posted plenty of pics on BME for you to check out. :) And you’re very welcome for the help, of course!

Lori St.Leone on October 29th, 2007 at 8:33 pm
  2. Lori, can you point towards someone in QLD? I live in Townsville, but figure I’ll need to travel a bit. I’m finding it hard to straight answers from tattoo/piercing artists in my area, due to my American accent. I’m always very friendly, but my husband and I seem to put people on edge here in town. So I’d really appreciate a recommendation!

Stephanie on October 30th, 2007 at 10:38 pm
  3. Thanks heaps for posting this. I’ll know NOT to go to anyone here in Adelaide for anchors now that you’ve not recommended anywhere. I actually asked a piercer a few months ago and he said he *could* do it, but I declined (thankfully)

I’d love to know which piercer/shop did the dodgy.

Sal on November 2nd, 2007 at 12:03 am
  4. It was ( And I know, shame on me ) Essential Beauty in TTP. The guy that pierces there, his name is dave. Foolish me I know!

I_r_alex on November 2nd, 2007 at 6:33 am
  5. Ugh Essential Beatuy. No wonder it was such a fuckup.

Alex on November 7th, 2007 at 3:54 am
  6. Wow!!!!!! Boogity Boogity!!!!!!!!!

Ted Bundy on September 22nd, 2008 at 9:09 pm
  7. Maybe you should have researched your piercings first, dumbass!

If you would have, you would know this is very possible going to a piercer that is unexperienced with dermal anchors.

I don’t feel bad for you at all. Maybe next time, you’ll use google or something to read up!

K on December 4th, 2008 at 1:58 pm
  8. Hi, im in Sydney and looking into getting dermal anchors. Is there someone who does them in syd that you could recomend?

Natalie on March 25th, 2009 at 9:28 pm
  9. natalie, go to steve at steel lotus on crown street, i get pierced by him, he is freaking awesome! i’ve never had ANY problems/scaring from any of his piercing!

Briony on March 27th, 2009 at 7:37 pm
  10. #8, I got mine done at Industrie8 in Cabramatta (bit of a trek, but my friend recommended it and the piercer Joe is a pretty awesome guy!) but if you don’t feel like trekking it all the way there Polymorph and Industrial Strength in Newtown both do them as far as I know!

Oh and they have 2 for 1 deals too :)

Marie on September 8th, 2009 at 8:29 am
  11. I got a dermal anchor done last night. When I woke up this morning one side of the foot,” which should have been under my skin was sticking out. After some careful wiggling the whole thing came out. Is this normal? What the anchor put in too shallow?

claire on January 10th, 2010 at 8:03 pm
  12. i have hip dermal anchors. one of them sticks out about a centimeter.. is that bad? what should i do? is there any way i could get it pushed back in??!

Jessica on March 31st, 2010 at 9:50 am
  13. sorry but if you happen to be over weight then its possible that the anchor got lost in fatty tissue. the piercer is only human their not god so therefor they are not perfect and neither are you.

savanna on August 7th, 2010 at 3:11 pm
  14. I had 2 dermals put in 2 days ago, he used the needle method, and they stick out quite a bit, is this normal?

me on October 19th, 2010 at 4:56 am
  15. I have 3 dermals on my ribcage and they all healed differently. Some peoples bodies reject piercings and the biggest deciding factor of whether your dermals will heal properly is the care that you give them! They need to be cleaned 2-3 times daily for about 6 months. I’ve had mine for about 7 months and they are perfectly fine. I still clean them daily too. Also, I keep small band-aids on hand incase they start to get irritated or get snagged on my clothing.

krista on November 22nd, 2010 at 1:52 pm
  16. i got dermal piercings done on my hip, one stayed in , the ohter one is under my skin…. It hurts !!!! this should of NOT of happened … now i have to to have it surgical removed . so be careful when getting them done .

Becky Welk on March 28th, 2013 at 6:10 pm