Chapped lips and vertical labrets

«« Help my poor Lobes!    Closing stretched lobes »»

Monday October 29th, 2007 @ 3:16 AM

Filed under: Lip/Cheek

I got my vertical labret piercing 2 days ago, and the piercer said not to use chapstick or anything because it could irritate the piercing, and to just sit it out and the chapped lips would go away. Well, my chapped lips are driving me crazy and I am just picking away at them which cannot be good for the piercing either. Can you give me any remedies?

Lots and lots of water. Chapped lips are often a result of the body being dehydrated and not getting the amount of daily water intake it requires. I would strongly advise to not drink anything else other than water for the next couple weeks. As often caffeinated drinks(Soda, Coffee,etc) tends to dry the body out.

Usually if you can start drinking nothing but water for awhile it will keep your body hydrated and not be so dry and chapped. Also try not to chew/pick away at the chapped lips as that can increase swelling and problems with you healing piercings.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

8 Responses to “Chapped lips and vertical labrets”

1. Caffeine may act as a diuretic, but the water content of whatever you’re drinking will more than offset it, meaning that you will have a net gain of water into your system from drinking soda.

Jeremy G on October 29th, 2007 at 10:25 pm
  2. Thanks for the heads up on that one. HOWEVER what one must also consider is the other ingredients as well with the soda drinks.

For example the age old fun trick of filling a container up with coca cola and putting a piece of steak in it and leaving it over night. By morning the ingredients of the soda drink will have ate away the steak completely.

All the sugars, acids and various ingredients that comprise a soda drink is counter-productive to a healing piercing.

Also realize that the article is mostly talking about drinking soda drinks during exercise,etc….Yes you ARE getting a portion of water intake into the body but its only a small percentage….When exercising and drinking soda you get a mixture of Water hydration PLUS sugar/caffeine rush.

If you want to talk sports after roughly over a decade of playing ice hockey I personally drank soda, fruit juice, water, gatorade/powerade,etc…The TWO that really helped keep me hydrated and not have me have a sugar crash,etc was Grape Juice(Purple/Red grapes) as well as just straight up filtered water….This is what I personally experienced with drinking the various drinks.

What I’m simply saying is the individual will get MORE benefit of just drinking water then by introducing caffeine, sugars, acids,etc via something like soda.

Warren Hiller on October 30th, 2007 at 1:25 am
  3. also, you can put natural lip balm on your lips like Burt’s Bees.

Niki on November 2nd, 2007 at 10:07 am
  4. they also tell you to only eat things you can eat with a fork ie no sandwiches or anything that will come in contact with you lip. as long as you dont like rub it into the hole and just carefully put it between the balls it should be fine. ive had mine for 2 years and after a week my chapped lips were driving me crazy so i gave in and my chap stick never gave me any problems at all.

rosie on November 8th, 2007 at 8:08 pm
  5. question….who is “they

because “they” are ALWAYS giving weird advice. With vertical labrets be it sandwiches or forks you have the potential for contact with the jewelry

The thing about food is its stuff that can easily be removed with proper cleaning and very rarely will its matter(ie: sandwich crumbs,etc) enter into the pathway…With chap stick quite often it can promote irritation,etc.

again chapped lips can easily be sorted out with keeping yourself hydrated, ie: drinking more water.

Warren on November 8th, 2007 at 9:56 pm
  6. I got my vertical labret done in June. I tried not to put anything on it for— like a day. Nothing bothers me more than chapped lips so I ended up putting Blistex medicated stuff on it and it didn’t irritate the piercing at all. And the whole eating thing, I forgot I had a new thing on my face and bit into my peanut butter sandwich before I knew what I was doing. I suggest eating off to the side until you feel your piercing can handle it.

Siera on November 19th, 2007 at 10:27 pm
  7. I prefer a&d for very chapped lips…

Margaret on November 23rd, 2007 at 5:57 pm
  8. damn i used the shit out of chapstick when i had mine done and it turned out fine

belmonte_18 on July 11th, 2008 at 12:51 am