Tongue tied

«« nape piercing    Labret »»

Thursday January 24th, 2008 @ 12:36 PM

Filed under: Tongue

Okay so I went into a shop to ask this question a few months ago but my mom was with me but I had only gotten her to agree to one piercing soooo…. the guy told me that I couldn’t pierce my tongue because I’m way to tongue tied for a center one but I want two one on the left and one on the right(Venoms? I’m not sure on the name) Any who my question is: would it be possible to pierce the sides even if I can’t get the center done?? I know this might be an anatomy question but I’m not allowed into the shop without a parent and I’d rather have a basic idea if it’s doable or not before I try to talk them. Thankx

If your tongue is too short to accommodate a standard tongue piercing, it’s not likely to be any better-suited for side tongue piercings. In fact, depending upon the shape of your tongue, it might be even less-suited for a piercing.

A tongue piercing done on a tongue that is too short can often lead to damage to the lower teeth and gums. The piercing(s) would probably heal fine, but it’s the long-term affects it can have on your oral health that you need to be concerned about.

It sounds like you’re a minor, so you may not have this option right now, but at some point, you could consider having your tongue webbing cut (frenectomy). This will generally take care of your being “tongue tied”, and often makes the tongue long enough to be pierced.

Posted by Derek Lowe | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

8 Responses to “Tongue tied”

1. I had the same issues. So I got vemons instead. And later I snipped my web and got the center done as well.
    And if the piercer didnt give you other options or discuse it furthur with you, I would find a new piercer.

blackandblue on January 24th, 2008 at 7:28 pm
  2. i’m alsotounge tied and I got my tounge webbing peirced and i absoltuely love it. i’ve also wanted venoms for quite some time. Unfortunately, i was told this is difficult to get being tounge tied. i feel your pain.

sharon on May 13th, 2008 at 4:13 pm
  3. Hi i was just wondering were you got your web snipped as i am tongue tied and i want my tongue pierced.

Vicky on August 31st, 2008 at 8:52 am
  4. Try your doctor first. If they’re not helpful without justification, complain of difficulty kissing, eating, brushing teeth, etc. They can do the cut with a laser and age is not a problem.

Failing that, if you’re old enough, most skilled piercers who work with scalpels can probably help you out.

redeye on August 31st, 2008 at 6:51 pm
  5. hi i soo badly want my tongue peirced but im also tongue tied, i just got my mum to agree with me getting my tongue peirced and i was soo happy, i know i cant get it peirced unless i get my tongue snipped but i thought it was easy i was looking at getting it snipped and the surgery looks scary :O

do you think its worth going through with it for getting my tongue peirced ?

stacey on January 10th, 2010 at 9:26 pm
  6. I’m tounge tied and already had it snipped (major probs in surgry) and its still too short to pierce but my speech is better

mara on January 20th, 2011 at 9:15 pm
  7. I had a frenectomy about 5 years ago now and i really want to get my tongue pierced tomorrow, hopefully it is cut back far enough and the piercer says its okay!!

shakrose on June 29th, 2012 at 1:25 pm
  8. I am tongue tied and was wondering if instead I could get a surface piercing on my tongue, so have a surface bar on my tongue instead if. Labret right trough?

Jack on May 7th, 2013 at 4:52 pm