scalpelling blow outs

«« Lip piercing hardness??    inner conch downsizing »»

Thursday May 15th, 2008 @ 1:53 AM

Filed under: Ear

Ive had blow outs and scar tissue on the back side of both lobes for sometime now and they are rather embarrasing to say the least. Not only do they make it very difficult to stretch but I have to always find or have custom peices made to accomodate the width.

I sleep with my plugs out and do oil massages but the blow outs and scar tissue dont seem to want to go anywhere.

I learned that I can have them scalpelled off and because I have also heard that scalpelling to produce a larger size makes future stretching easier I woould also like to have this done.

I was perviously at 1 1/4 but due to complication from the scar tissure not wanting to stretch to that size have since downsized to 1 1/8

Becuase I like the size of 1 1/4 and plan to stay there for a good while, and than eventually 1 3/8 for a good while and than 1 1/2 etc

I was thinking if getting scalpelled to 1 1/4 from 1 1/8 and at the same time getting my blow outs removed is good idea or not?

Im also a little concerned about thinning and I hear that scalpelling to larger size will redirect the piercing.

Here is a question I’d like to ask…Have you ever tried simply taking the jewelry out, leaving it out, massaging the lobes multiple times a day to see if the blow outs,etc get re-absorbed into the body? If my measurements are precise you only went down one size in your downsizing. With blow outs I strongly advise clients to literally not wear jewelry in their ears, until their lobes re-absorb the blow outs. From there you put whatever light weight jewelry (Pyrex eyelets,etc) fits comfortably and then wait roughly 1 year or so before you consider going to the next size up. From there literally wait 6 months to a year (ideally a year) before going up to the next size and so on an so forth.

Personally I’d suggest that before ever considering the scalpelling route. Lobe Scalpelling/Re-Directing,etc should only be done as a last resort, after all other avenues have been done.

Without seeing your lobes and the blow outs and scar tissue,etc I can’t really give much confirmed responses (ie: how big of a blow out you have,etc). But I’d honestly encourage you to at least try what I suggested if you’ve never done that, before selecting to go with the scalpelling. And I’d honestly literally not even consider the concept of stretching your lobes to larger sizes until this matter is sorted out.

But yes scalpelling and removal of the blow outs can be an option, but like I said I’d encourage you to consider it the very last option.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

8 Responses to “scalpelling blow outs”

1. the blow outs are about an 1/8″ long extending past the actual lobe

Zach on May 15th, 2008 at 8:43 pm
  2. Ive had the same problem. I left my jewelry completely out for about 6 months with no luck. I didnt notice them reabsorbing at all. I even did oil massages.

megan on May 15th, 2008 at 10:48 pm
  3. I forgot to mention that I have left jewelry out for even weeks at a time and have done oil massages twice a day for 10 minutes each and no results :/ I think my shit is just too fucked up, thanks for the advice

Zach on May 16th, 2008 at 1:57 am
  4. Zach: You need to stop thinking in weeks and focus more on months in regards to jewelry being out…Blow-Out re-absorbing will take a lot longer than weeks quite often…and as Megan said depending on how severe the blow outs it might even take longer than 6 months for them to be re-absorbed…Sometimes they might not get absorbed at all, but better to TRY this method then to have the person carve your lobes up.

Warren Hiller on May 16th, 2008 at 2:01 am
  5. I hope his ears sort out, I’m assuming scalpelling is a good idea if you have rediculously tight unstretchy skin and stretching is nigh on impossible?
    That was my plan as my ears won’t get bigger lol.

corpseesproc on May 28th, 2008 at 1:47 am
  6. My ears are really fucked up & have been blownout for like half a year without any result & I just don’t know what to do anymore. Anyone have any advice?

Celestino on January 22nd, 2012 at 11:45 pm
  7. I think you should just scalpel them off because if you’ve tried the rest and it stays the same then whats the point of waiting for them to just
    magically re-appear all good. No. I say scalpel now :D

danny on July 8th, 2013 at 10:49 am
  8. Btw , if you live in cali and find someone who can scalpel them (the blowouts) can you let me know. I’m in that situation aswell. Lmao
    Thanks ! :)