Of age battleing parental interference, health concern

«« Possible piercins discrimination at work?    VCH »»

Monday May 26th, 2008 @ 12:13 AM

Filed under: Tongue

This is an odd angle but I figured to get someone else’s opinion.

I am about to turn 20 and I still live at home. There’s no reason to leave, I’m not in school yet and they love and feed me, no rent ? Since I turned 18 I have gotten my fair share of piercings ranging from miscellaneous ear to navel, all of which my parents are aware of, albeit they did fret but in the end it was alright. I even got a tattoo WITH my mom after her 50th birthday. I did get my nipples pierced without them knowing but that was and is still something I did for myself.

The dilemma I am facing right now is that I have wanted to get my tongue pierced since I could remember; I think it was around 7th grade when I was 12. I used to hold a straight barbell in my mouth and pretend it was really pierced. I think it somewhat alleviates an oral fixation I have had since I was small.

6 years ago I was diagnosed with a heart condition called W-P-W where extra nodes and nerves in my heart cause my heart to race excessively when doing things like running and working out. I had two minor surgeries the first year and had since had no real problems with it; they did say I would probably have problems later on since they were only able to get rid of 80% of the problem nerves. 6 years later is later on and I am having problems.

The issue is that my mother is concerned that having an “open wound” and possible infection in my mouth would stop a surgeon from performing another procedure for my heart, should I need one. She always refers back to a friend whose doctor refused to do a heart valve replacement due to bad oral and teeth health.

I just had my tragus pierced yesterday and she never had an issue with that having to do with another heart procedure, so why now?

I have assured her that if there were any problems they would be assessed in the beginning and by the time and procedures would me performed (months away) the piercing would be 100% infection free and fully healed, or removed due to my speech.

I guess my story bo

First question for me to bring up is, have you made your piercers aware of your health conditions? Have you gotten approval from your doctor to get these body piercings? Most consent forms in piercing & tattoo establishments should have a section advising you if you have any health issues, to notify us so we can do what’s best. Because the last thing our industry needs is another potential health concern issue spreading through the papers…Especially when its involving something like a tongue piercing, which ALWAYS gets bad press.

In terms of heart procedures I’m a bit baffled as to why your parents would be alright with you getting a tragus piercing and not ok with a tongue piercing. Personally if your mom is saying a tongue piercing is a health concern (which it can be, especially if you go in for another heart operation), a tragus can also be a health concern as well.

What I’d suggest for you to do is perhaps organize a visit to your doctor and sit down with them and discuss the matter and get an OFFICIAL statement from them on the subject…That way both you and your mother are on the same page when it comes to your medical situation and your desire to receive body piercings.

Posted by Warren Hiller | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

6 Responses to “Of age battleing parental interference, health concern”

1. wow i just noticed the rest of the question got cut off but yea, my piercer is aware and because it is not a condition that states i couldn’t do things to my body come 6 years after the condition getting “fixed,” it was not an issue on the concent form. thank you for your input it does help.

NG on May 26th, 2008 at 12:46 am
  2. <>

I guess my story boils down to the question, is there really any reason for my mom to believe that a healed tongue piercing (or infection she is convinced would be there) could lead to complications in a (not open) heart surgery? Could a surgeon actually refuse to do a procedure if the patient has a piercing that was not fully healed?

Thank you for listening to my rant.
    NG

NG on May 26th, 2008 at 12:47 am
  3. now in regards to this statement you said in the first place, who advised you of this situation? Was it the piercer or your doctor? Who told you that “because it is not a condition that states I couldn’t do things to my body come 6 years after the condition getting fixed.” If it was a doctor who said that, that is acceptable, but if it was a piercer or anyone else, I would have personally consulted with a doctor beforehand.

The one thing I would be concerned about is the potential of when you MIGHT need more heart surgery and the potential that the tongue piercing isn’t quite healed…Although not sure about if you’re fully aware of when your procedures are scheduled or if they are on the fly when needed,etc.

I can also see a doctor indeed putting the procedure on hold if the piercing is not fully healed, especially if it involves heart surgery, if memory serves me correctly they are pretty strict in that aspect.

As always though this is something definitely worth ranting about, but also something I’d strongly encourage you to discuss with your doctor and your parents together.

Warren Hiller on May 26th, 2008 at 1:58 am
  4. There ARE heart conditions (such as mitral valve prolapse) that can make the prospect of oral piercings/surgery potentially life-threatening. The usual thing to do in those cases is to take a course of antibiotics prophylactically prior to having dental work done or any oral piercings. An ear piercing would make no difference, as far as I’m aware. The best thing to do is consult your doctor!

Lori St.Leone on May 26th, 2008 at 4:43 am
  5. Damn Lori, I was just about to say that, but you beat me to it, now I don’t get to look smart!

cheshire on May 26th, 2008 at 7:35 am
  6. My dad just had open heart surgery, and from what I understand, is that any infection in the mouth can travel straight to the heart (which is quite susceptible following surgery) which is why they disinfect your mouth before surgery. But seeing how it only take 4 weeks or so to heal a tongue piercing and as along as you religiously keep op the after care you should be fine.

Angelynn on June 5th, 2008 at 2:02 pm