Bleeding after tongue piercing

«« Lip piercing and record-fast erosion    Body Modification Research Paper »»

Wednesday September 10th, 2008 @ 7:23 AM

Filed under: Tongue

My friend got his tongue pierced. Everything was completely sterile and the ring is through the middle of his tongue. The piercer didn’t hit the veins on either side of his tongue and it looks great. The top hole is about an inch from the tip of his tongue, further back in his mouth then the bottom. I know this is further back then normal, could it have caused the bleeding. But two days after he got it pierced he woke up in the morning and there was alot of blood in his mouth. It was thickening up around the ring where I guess the body tried to slow the bleeding. At first he was freaking out. Now the bleeding eased a little about an hour to hour and a half after he woke up but were wondering what it could be from. It was only bleeding from the top and there was a little bit of dried blood on the bottom. I have been piercing for 6 years and I can’t say I have seen this happen. It did not bleed the first day and he only bled a few drops during or more so right after the piercing. He took Aspirin the first night after he got it done because it was all he had and he has been using a mixture of generic Listerine and water. Then once or twice a day he rinses with salt water. The night before he woke up with all the blood he was eating Chinese food. I only mention this because I know some meat tenderizers can irritate oral piercings. He came to me for advice but I’m not sure what to tell him aside from take it out. But I don’t want to say that if this is something that happens sometimes. Could it be because of how far back the top hole is even though the bottom hole did not hit his veins or webbing? Or could it be from him taking Aspirin? Please try to answer soon. Thank you.

I’m assuming you mean bar rather than ring, right?
If it hasn’t bled excessively until then, then I wouldn’t worry too much. It could very well be that he had an ‘orally active’ dream (I don’t want to know the details!) and coupled with taking aspirin - which is an anticoagulant and a pretty dumb thing to take after having a piercing - that could be behind the nocturnal bleed. Also, did he have an alcoholic drink (or three) with his chinese meal?
The thing with bleeding is that a little blood always looks like alot. Try telling a woman that the average amount of blood loss during a menstrual cycle equates to approximately six teaspoons and she’ll shoot you a look that will cut you in half faster than a guillotine! With bleeding, if it doesn’t appear to be slowing down after 20-30 mins, that’s when you potentially have a problem and should seek medical advice. If the piercing is well-placed and the bleeding has stopped then advise him to heal as normal (and ditch the listerine - this won’t be helping as it contains alcohol which also thins the blood, not to mention the fact that it really is far too harsh for an oral piercing). If he continues to get frequent bleeds then ask questions. Ask questions about his lifestyle and habits etc and don’t rule out the possibility that a vessel may have been nicked during the procedure. Use his answers to make a judgement call as to whether you think it best to remove the jewellery, let it heal and pierce at a later date, differently placed.

Posted by Tiff Badhairdo | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

38 Responses to “Bleeding after tongue piercing”

1. ok.this sounds way too familiar to my peircing. the night i had it done it bled on the spot just a drop or 2. next day no bleeding just swelling. i did go out that night had a few alcoholic drinks and i did take some ibuprofin to stop the swelling which works. but im not sure if its the reason for my tongue bleeding excessively. like i have to spit every other minute because of the blood. i woke up this morning with a mouth full. gross. i just want to know if this is normal or not. iv never had my tongue pierced but i have 6 other peircings. im scared im going to lose too much blood. should i take it out? anybody want to give advice? what will stop the bleeing?

bri on October 9th, 2009 at 11:26 am
  2. okay so i just freaked out because i woke up and my tongue is bleeding from the top and decided to reead online and see if i should go seek medical attn. but this made me feel better because i think its connected to the same darn thing, got mine peirced a week ago and drank alot last night/ took some tylenol and im pretty sure it gave me this reaction…. so to whomever posted this.. thanks.

heather on January 19th, 2010 at 7:35 am
  3. Okay I got mine done on Friday and it off balance they way I wanted it and I went out to eat the next night Chinese food and I woke up at two in the noting and my mouth was full of blood and I had to go to school but I have no clue what to do for it do I warp it or just let it bleed and get chunky

Phantom on February 22nd, 2010 at 5:21 pm
  4. sounds alot like the piercer might have hit a vein , i would suggest taken it out might bleed use gauze and fill your moth with gauze biting down , bleeding should stop

rondkor on July 2nd, 2010 at 11:37 pm
  5. I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago and it’s still swollen and every morning i wake up with blood in my mouth and around my piercing. It also bleeds a little sometimes during the day.. Is there a way i can stop it bleeding? or something that would help it heal faster?

gehh on August 14th, 2010 at 7:54 am
  6. I just got my tongue pierced three days ago and it was fine doing the normal swelling and a lil tender but I woke up this morning and it really sore. I looked in the mirror and it was bleeding I was scared but after about 20 minutes it stopped I don’t know if I messed with it in my sleep or it’s infected but if I look at it it looks like a tiny tear in my tongue. I’m worried that it’s gonna get infected. I used non alcahol mouth wash and after I eat, drink , or smoke I rinse but it’s still swollen. I don’t know what else to do.

Cara on September 4th, 2010 at 2:52 pm
  7. This is happening to me right now. And I’m like freaking out. I got my tongue pierced on Friday. And i have been fine(eating solids, no pain, slight swelling.) And I woke up with blood everywheree. It’s kind of gross and really scaring me. But everything I’ve read about this says it’s normal. ;/

Chel on September 20th, 2010 at 12:01 pm
  8. i got my tongue re-pierced…it bleeds when i got it today but not swollen…the 1st time i got it didn’t bleed but it was swollen….my prob is i was taking a nap and woke up from the taste of blood..i keep on washing it with listerin (alcohol free)then it stops but there’s a blood where the bar was…now its bleeding again..hope its not dangerous…i read not to take it off…..can someone help me?

nana on October 14th, 2010 at 12:21 am
  9. I got my piercing on saturday , I just woke up and its bleeding big time , and I’m still cleaning it . Could I just take it out ???

tiffany on October 19th, 2010 at 4:51 am
  10. my tonuge has been bleeding for about 30 mins ive tried everything to stop it any ideas people

kayla on November 16th, 2010 at 11:48 pm
  11. Ok, this is the 4th day after getting my tongue pierced.
    My tongue didn’t bleed at all the day I got it pierced; And the swelling hasn’t been bad.
    Now, There’s a yellow-ish discharge.. and everything I’ve been looking up tells me that it’s the normal healing process and whatnot.
    But the thing that kinda freaked me out a little was the little bit of blood that’s in the yellow-ish discharge..
    Is that normal?
    I want to say it is but there’s also a white area around my piercing (only on the top)
    PLUS my tongue is a little yellow. But I think that’s because I’ve been using mouthwash too frequently. :\
    Not to mention a weird taste in my mouth D:

And YES, I’ve been cleaning it properly and everything.
    The whole non-alcohol mouthwash or seasalt warm water solution after eating/drinking anything but water.
    Brushing my teeth 2-3 times a day.

Ugh. I’m so damn paranoid that I might get a tongue piercing infection.. I’m real close to re-visiting my piercer. But I just want to see if before doing anything drastic, this is all just part of it being a really fresh piercing and it’s going through the normal healing process.

ebbs_mcfiggs on January 27th, 2011 at 3:12 am
  12. I just got a tongue piercing today, it has continuously bled (I talked a little, and have been sucking on ice) I move it around some, maybe to much. I’m not sure. Its slightly swollen, with white stuff around the bottom..what is that? It doesn’t hurt, only slightly sore….I also took Ibubrofen….soo Should it be bleeding continuously or do I have a problem?

SmilingSarcasm on February 12th, 2011 at 11:33 pm
  13. Ok, so i got my tongue peirced last wednesday… so bout 8 days ago. it was fine when i first had it done, was swollen for about 4 days but that went down… but, its only today that i was chatting at work, and my mouth just started filling with blood, i mean, i was spitting it out as i talked!
    i spat and swallowed but it didnt stop, so i had to head back to the building and run to the toilet, i spat the blood into the sink and it was everywhere, i then washed it out with salt water from the kitchen and it stopped after about ten more minutes. But 20 mins later it happened again and didnt stop for about 5 mins. I got it to stop again, the same way as before, and headed home, wwhilst walking home, it started again, and i had to keep spitting blood onto the floor to get the blood outa my mouth. When i got home, i checked to see why it would be bleeding, and its the top and bottom thats bleeding abd it also looks like ive got a small tear on the top. I dunno what i should do or if this is normal??? Help!

Rachael on February 24th, 2011 at 1:53 pm
  14. so, i got my tongue pierces 5 days ago.. during the first 3 days there was not a single drop of blood, whereas on the fourth, and last night on the fifth day my tongue started bleeding from time to time. i don’t drink, neither smoke.. i wash it with alodone (french product).. any advices? im thinking about taking it off.. but im afraid that it will get infected or something.. HELP!!

TonguePierced on March 20th, 2011 at 4:02 am
  15. i had this exact same story just happen, except she just called back to say its been happening a couple times. everything during the procedure was correct, only a few drops of blood, etc…the first time it bleed she came back in and when i got the bleeding to stop and i looked at it, it did look like she torn it a bit, that was a week ago, and now like i said she said its happened a few times…..?

marie on April 12th, 2011 at 3:50 pm
  16. i got my tongue pierced yesterday and it was bleeding a little bit but the guy said it was normal….i woke up this morning and its still bleeding…kina freaking out coz the shop is closed today so will def go there tomorrow morning to make sure everything is alright!!

FunkyRain on April 17th, 2011 at 5:40 am
  17. You guys could try sucking on icecubes or try drinking cold water..Cold stuff are good for soothing the pain on your tongue

Gabriella Choo on May 16th, 2011 at 12:38 am
  18. Lmfao, this makes me feel SO much better! No more hardcore make out sessions or getting hammered for a few more weeks. God I’m an idiot. Lol

RiseAgainst on May 18th, 2011 at 1:04 am
  19. i got my toung peirced 6 days ago and it was a little swollen at first and i done everything i was told to do/not to do (i drank the nyt i got it done but thats all). 4 days after getting it done it started bleeding randomly(once for about 10 minutes, then once the next day for about 5 mins, and again tonight for 12 mins). so i took it out while it was still bleeding then it bled again for another 5-6 minutes, and it happend again only for 2-3 mins, should i have taken it out ??
    (I HAVE ALREADY HAD MY TOUNG PEIRCED BEFORE WHICH I TOOK OUT. THE GUY PEIRCED THROUGH THE SAME HOLE AT THE TOP BUT NOT THE BOTTOM, HE PEIRCED ABOUT 3cms AWAY FROM THE PREVIOUS HOLE ON THE PURPLE LINE UNDER MY TOUNGE, WHICH MAKES ME THINK HE HAS PEIRCED THROUGH THE VEIN) should i have taken it out or left it in ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

kk on August 19th, 2011 at 12:30 am
  20. why do ikeep bleeding alot every like 30 min is it normal? idk if ishould leave it am scared . my friends tell me its because i rinced my mouth with salt and water .what can ido?

jennifer on September 23rd, 2011 at 3:37 am
  21. Ihad my tongue pierced a while back… after 4 days my tounge started bleeding allloottt igot really scareed I was trying to go to sleep to keep my mind off it but ikeep waking up every 30 minutes for 5hours it would not stop bleeding and when it was first starting to bleed there waswhite and yelloish discharge aroung wit blood. Then like 3hours after the bleeding ihad alloottaa blood like if skin was growing around the piercing I imideatly went to the ER they said it was not infected and it was wealing but the wrong way! They suggested I take it off.. itryed but the ball was too tight onto the bar .. they said it won’t stop bleeding unless itake it off.. so everybody who’s having bleeding problems wit the tongue piercing ..DOCTOR SAID IN ORDER TO STOP THE BLEDING TAKE THE PIERCNG OFF!!!!!!!!!!

flor on October 8th, 2011 at 1:50 am
  22. So it’s been almost 3 weeks when I got my tongue pierced…the bottom looks great…the top on the other hand looks like the ball could fall right through, it had tough white stuff in it has been bleeding alot in the past 2-3 days. I went to the peircer and he says that it looks like i beat the crap out of it. I did everything I was told and I don’t know where to go from here…anyone have advice or should I see a doctor?

CassCass on November 8th, 2011 at 11:39 pm
  23. I got my tongue pierced five days ago, and on the fifth day during the evening my tongue started to bleed from around the top of my piercing and it keeps happening randomly after that i wash my mouth out and it happens after a little while. I find this very worrying as i’m not sure if infected or not. please do give back some information on this! Thank you

Alisha on December 2nd, 2011 at 10:59 pm
  24. So I got my tongue pierced on Sunday n now is Wednesday, so I woked up with a little of dried blood under my tongue (on the piercing) can someone tell me wats going on or if its normal????

miriam on January 25th, 2012 at 11:54 am
  25. Wow! Thank for your encouraging words :) I got my tongue pierced two days ago but i didn’t really change my eating habits. Chips, sandwiched etc. I don’t drink or take pills but last night i got home so late I didn’t rinse my mouth at all and in brushing my teeth this morning it stopped bleeding. Its been 10 mins and the bleeding has slowed so hopefully 10 mins later it will be gone.

Thanks again

YOLO on February 19th, 2012 at 10:22 am
  26. i got my toung pierced sunday and ive been rincing it with listerine last night i was crying and had like a lil asthma attack took my albuteral and when i woke up i tasted blood and i had blood on the piercig i rinsed my mouth with listerine and its not blleding no more but the blood is stcuk looks like skin around the bar but its just the top i dont know if i should take it of or how to heal it ??

steph on February 21st, 2012 at 11:43 am
  27. I got my tongue pierced 4 days ago. It’s SUPER swollen and it’s been bleeding since day one. It bleeds more and more each day.. this morning, I woke up with “dried” blood all over the ball and blood stains all over my pillow case. And it’s been bleeding continuously throughout the day. Do you think I’m allergic to the tongue ring or is it just going through the healing process? I really need some answers, please help!

Jasmine on March 1st, 2012 at 2:35 am
  28. so i got ma piercing 2 days ago everything was good until today woke up with blood in ma mouth on the top n ma tounge still swollen wat do i do its ma first time n im freaking out plzz wat do i do im scared that it might b infectin also i have like ma tounge yellow/orange on top of ma tounge plz help

aidenlove on March 16th, 2012 at 3:38 pm
  29. I got my tongue peirced 2 weeks ago today, and my tongue swelled for about 10 days, and i also had a thick layer of yellow covering my tongue. Mine didnt bleed, however a little bit of blood on the morning you wake up is normal. The yellow/white stuff on your tongue is normal, but if it is bleeding continuously(over 1hr) i would go and see a doctor or go back to your peircer as it is not normal.

kim on June 3rd, 2012 at 8:47 am
  30. My tongue was pierced 4 days ago, &there hasn’t been much wrong. ‘Cept I’m a paranoid freak &wanted to know why there’s a small red spot under my tongue, right in front of the piercing? Morning after getting it done, my tongue was huge, &the swelling’s been going slowly down. A yellowishness covers the back of my tongue, but I read that it was part of the normal healing process? &while there’s no excessive bleeding, at times I see spots of blood around the piercing wound. I feel almost no pain in my tongue at all, except for certain movements of my tongue &it feels like I burned my tongue on something &there’s a slight tingling sensation on the tip. That, too, I read was normal. So what’s the spots of blood &red spot mean? I eat some solid food a day, &clean it often with non-alcoholic mouth wash, sea salt spray, brush my teeth, &floss. Thanks!
    P.S.- I have spider bites, which healed perfectly even though I honestly didn’t take very good care of them at all through the healing process.

j. on August 18th, 2012 at 1:08 pm
  31. hi well i just got my tongue piecing friday afternoon and it hurt an had difficultys swallowing but the lady how did it at the tattoo shop say dont worry about but i wanted more information about this an she wasnt interest after she got my money now so i left an went home.the great new for me that day at work we had party so i was stuuff before getting it piecing .the second day tho having it my tongue was swollen and yellow discharge alittle an i cant eat an starving like marvin i m so hungry i ts a shame, everytime i eat it hurt so i cut that out. today after waking up my tongue hurted i went to look in mirror an notice so dry blood on the top an really freaking out extreme like i feel cold an like im bout to die im scared because i dont want to get my tongue cut off.i rinse with the stuff the said on paper i dont drink i smoke a cig then rinse i dont no wat to do please help me please

tika on September 17th, 2012 at 7:12 am
  32. It is not good idea to smoke,drink or take ibuprofen for the first of a new tongue if at all till fully healed. I’ve noticed that a couple of u say that it looks like ur ball could fall through ur tongue, I have that problem to (I recently had venoms done,no bleeding plenty of swelling.) when u sleep at night all the weight from ur head is on top of this ball I’ve noticed in my piercing so try sleeping w/a rag in ur mouth sounds stupid I’m sry but it helps me I call it my dribble rag or prop ur head up at an angle or something like that I also found that its me when I put a wet cottonball in my mouth(this might not be for everyone) it helps cool my tongue an somewhat keep my jaws apart. It be sure that the cottenball is tightly wound up loose fibers will not be good for ur bar. And ur tongue is white an yellow because when the tongue has a wound Or feels feels attacked good bacteria come to the surface to fight infection. An the yellow or white discharge in an around the opening. Of the piercing hole is a actually pus, it is a good idea to get rid that. The body dosnt want that neither should u. Also(this is just my opinion but it could have value to some of u) u should probebly just drink broth for the first week, even if ther is no bleeding or swelling ur to hue just had a NEEDLE through it. That is TRAMATIZING, so after having a needle through it just let it rest awhile(no long winded talks, if any at all, no solid foods). I have tried avoiding talking since I have had mine done(yes it is different then most of yours but the same rule is applied). Most of us don’t notice but when we talk we move our tongues in a very complex way. So try avoid moving ur tongue at all, I have tried keeping mine as still as possible,my tongue has enjoyed it so far.even crying. When we cry our tongues moves maybe not to the point where we consously know it. No crying. So far I have had no trouble w/my venoms an I intended to everything possible to keep it that way. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Mj on September 19th, 2012 at 12:30 am
  33. I got my tongue pierced on Tuesday. It didn’t bleed but swelled and the swelling started to go down. Yesterday I was at work talking to a friend, when suddenly her expression changed and she told me I had blood on my teeth. I suddenly realised my mouth was filling with blood. I went to the sink in the kitchen and opened my mouth and blood poured out. I freaked out and my friend took me to the A&E. They said I’d ruptured a vein. I told them I thought this could only happen during piercing, but apparently you can pierce close to a vein (which apparently is standard procedure) but what they don’t tell you is that the piercing can rub against the wall of a vein and then it can burst. They had to perform immediate surgery on me and removed the barbell and sutured the wound. They said it was lucky I was brought in when I was, as the tear in my vein had only began, and if it had ruptured completely I would have bled out in 2 minutes.

I can’t stress enough how dangerous a tongue piercing is. When girls ask questions such as “lip or tongue piercing” or whatever, jeez go with the lip ffs. You talk with your tongue, you eat with your tongue, you kiss with your tongue. Your tongue is inside you, and it’s near your teeth, and connected with your throat and has complex nerve systems going to your major arteries and brain. Piercing it has to be the stupidest thing anyone can do. It’s just down to how resilient your body is as to whether you get away with it. Add to that a compromised immune system due to eating so little at first, and it’s like “hunger games”, survival of the fittest.

Those girls who say it’s nothing simply had good luck and a good healthy immune system, and didn’t rupture a vein. I was so lucky I got to walk away from my stupid mistake.

claire on November 5th, 2012 at 2:22 am
  34. I had my tongue pierced for about a week and a day , I had decided to watch a intense movie last night cause I was bored , I went to sleep on it and started to dream about what I had watched , woke up out my sleep and seen that my pillow was drenched in blood so I ran down stairs quickly and rinsed with non alcohol mouth wash and cold water , it was pouring so bad I had thought I got shot in my mouth , meanwhile I was bleeding for an hour straight bride I decide to seek medical attention , when I got to the doctors they took it out and it formed a blood clot and told me not to put it back in for future references but I decided to do so anyways cause I enjoyed my ring ! But some of the stories I have read are similar to mines .

Nesha on November 12th, 2012 at 4:46 pm
  35. so I got my tongue pierced exactly 1 week ago.
    and have had NO problems at all…except for one thing, the swelling. it is still as swollen as it was in day 2, or maybe even a bit worse. i dont know, but it seems that it has neither gone up or down, even though I was on ibuprofen for 2 days.
    **the piercing is a little close to my left vein, but NOT on it.

ANYWAYS
    today I went out to eat at a Chinese resteraunt with my sister, and when I went back home I fell asleep, so when I woke up to clean my tongue piercing, I stuck my tongue out to spray some h2Ocean when all of a sudden a little blood starts coming out. (not too serious)
    scared, I go on my ipod 5G and start googling my problem, and I find this website,
    so right now I’m the only one awake in my room, typing this down, scared, not knowing what to do.

I think I might take it out…..
    I just need someone to talk to. ):
    this sucks.

LucidDreamer on December 26th, 2012 at 4:24 am
  36. I’ve gotton my tongue pierced two days ago and everything was fine. This morning, however when I woke up my mouth started bleeding.I’ve had my tongue pierced twice before and this never happened nor did I feel pain. It freaked me out.I went to the restroom to rince my mouth then a blood clot came out.. I took the tongue ring out cleaned my mouth and held gauze in my mouth for a few mimutes and the bleeding has stopped. Later on that night the tip of my tongue started to feel numb and as I look at it the bottom right side looks to be bruised like blood is just sitting there.With this being said, my q is this normal or do I need to go to the er???

valerie thomas on June 24th, 2013 at 5:21 am
  37. I got my tongue pierced on Sunday and today is Wednesday, it bled a little when it was first done but the piercer said it was normal! Monday went by and everything was fine, I ate a kebab, was talking etc.. Tuesday came and it got to about 11ish when all of a sudden my mouth filled with blood and I have no Idea Why! It lasted for about 15 mins. After that, I checked the piercing and it seemed to be coming from the top of my piercing but everything looked fine, as though the bleeding never happened.. So I didn’t think anything of it! Now it’s Wednesday and I have woke up and 3:20am with a mouth full of blood! It lasted for about 10 mins and now it’s fine, looks like it never happened again-_- I don’t know if I should take it out? It’s close to a vein but not on it, I rinse with salt and water every morning and night and I use listerine mouth wash. The bleeding is continuous and I have had to use tweezers to pull some dry blood away from around the piercing! I love it and don’t wany to take it out but if someone could give me advice, or reply back!? I am in desperate need.. Do I see a doctor? The piercer? Do I wait and see what happeneds? What other suggestions are there e.g. Don’t eat? Or talk? Anything you can think of that would be great because I am really scared and paranoid and I keep crying:’(

Lilly snuggle on June 25th, 2013 at 11:30 pm
  38. Second of my piercing woke up at night and my tongue was bleeding I’m so scared to even sleep again…..what do I do???

fatima braz on June 26th, 2013 at 6:06 pm