Tattoo tipping etiquette

«« help    your favorite tattoo client »»

Monday December 15th, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

Filed under: Uncategorized

Just a question about tipping etiquette:

I recently got a tattoo, and the artist did an AMAZING job, so I gave a good sized tip. I am scheduled for a follow up/potential touch up in a couple of weeks, and my question is if I do end up needing a touch up, do I tip the artist again? Or is tipping just at the time of the tattoo okay?

Am I going to seem like a jerk if I dont tip a second time?

If the touchup session is free, drop a $20 or so on them to cover supplies.
It’s never wrong to tip.

Posted by Shawn Porter | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

8 Responses to “Tattoo tipping etiquette”

1. To be honest I never tip, its not standard in Australia and doesn’t seem to be in London either (where I now live)! I happily give gifts to an artist who has done a great job, but I always feel like people should charge what they need to instead of expecting tips, its such a socially awkward thing IMO XD

almaxaquotal on December 16th, 2008 at 2:35 pm
  2. If in doubt, tip non-monetarily.

Everybody loves cupcakes!

Coffee on December 19th, 2008 at 6:55 pm
  3. I live in the UK (have done all my life) and I don’t tip either when getting anything done. I think it’s dependent on the general etiquette on tipping where you live. In the UK tipping for something is a pretty rare occurrence, reserved almost exclusively for waitress service at restaurants.

Hammy on December 22nd, 2008 at 8:08 pm
  4. I also live in the UK and it’s not that it is a rare occurance but more that it isn’t expected. I tip table service, hairdressers, takeaway delivery people - basically, anyone who provides a service to a standard that I feel goes above and beyond the call of duty. As a piercer, I have been tipped and it is always a pleasant surprise - so yes, I have to disagree with the previous poster regarding tipping in the UK. Tipping doesn’t necessarily have to be a monetary thing, either.

Tiff Badhairdo on December 23rd, 2008 at 1:46 pm
  5. Ye I suppose that is true #4, tipping here isn’t something that gets added onto everything (as it has been on my visits to America, tip jars on convenience store counters… what service have they provided?). It’s much more up to the individual here, tipping is more uncommon in most cases though I would argue.

Hammy on December 23rd, 2008 at 4:05 pm
  6. I expect that the cost of supplies and labor is already included in the base price of the procedure. I tip if I feel my artist has done an excellent job and gone further than the bare minimum required.

Lauren on December 27th, 2008 at 1:12 am
  7. When in Rome, etc. Maybe if you have some friends around who have gotten tattooed in the same area where you live, you could ask them how much and when they tipped?

Xenobiologista on December 29th, 2008 at 1:52 am
  8. I would tip, not as much but definitely something. I’m in America though, and my husband & I have this theory that there are certain people you want to keep on your good side- and the person permanently marking your body is one of them, so a good tip is always a good idea.

Brittany on May 29th, 2011 at 10:39 pm