help

«« genital worries    Tattoo tipping etiquette »»

Tuesday December 23rd, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

Filed under: Uncategorized

hi all

I’m opening a piercing parlor and i need to know swell bar sizes. i know whats she doing opening a parlor and dosn’t know that simple not the piercer ha ha, but yeah any help would be brilliant much thanks

This question has confused me a little. When I moved to this studio that I am at currently, the person responsible for making sure I had all the necessary consumables, jewellery etc actually consulted me with regards to what I needed. This is a question that you would be better off asking your piercer.

Posted by Tiff Badhairdo | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

16 Responses to “help”

1. He’s just going to collage and this is his first job so doesn’t know what size for swell bars and i can find sizes on the internet. Any chance you tell me the sizes you use as i need the jewelry with in two weeks.

home_town_freak on December 23rd, 2008 at 2:56 pm
  2. Am I hearing you right? You are setting on a ‘piercer’ with no experience of piercing who doesn’t know what sized jewellery to use? Might I suggest you advertise for a professional piercer with the necessary experience, checkable references and a portfolio who might be of a decent enough standard to offer your current ‘piercer’ an apprenticeship?

Tiff Badhairdo on December 23rd, 2008 at 3:14 pm
  3. I would but he’s a good and well respected friend and by the community, I have paid to put him to the British School of Body piercing and we don’t have time for an apprenticeship .We also live on a small barely inhabitable rock with no piercers and no chance of one moving up to do full time work, every one has to start some where. He has also previously pierced me and a few others and all piercings have been fine and healed nicely we just need jewelry sizes.

home_town_freak on December 24th, 2008 at 9:41 am
  4. He may well be a good and well-respected friend but he is not a body piercer. The course you mention is a precursor to an apprenticeship not a substitute and if you don’t have the time to find him an apprenticeship then you are in the wrong business. You cannot substitute a years full-time, supervised, hands-on apprenticeship with a two-week wondercourse. I relocated from the north of England to the south in order to obtain a decent apprenticeship.

Everyone does have to start somewhere and usually that involves crawling, walking and then running. This is not how you set up a piercing business. I will not give you the information you are requesting and I doubt any of my fellow AskBME staff will either. What you are doing, in my opinion, is highly irresponsible.

Tiff Badhairdo on December 24th, 2008 at 10:44 am
  5. I second that

kell on December 24th, 2008 at 11:22 am
  6. This is probably the most worrying question AskBME has ever had…

Coffee on December 24th, 2008 at 3:26 pm
  7. Kudos, Tiff. I couldn’t have answered this question better.

And I’m totally with Coffee…this question confuses the shit out of me. I worry for any future customers at this shop.

Mollie on December 25th, 2008 at 2:05 am
  8. This question troubles me more than kids doing their DIYs with a safety pin. Really. In fact, I think the situation is potentially more dangerous than (dare I say) getting pierced at the mall with a gun could ever be.

HereKittyKitty on December 25th, 2008 at 6:55 pm
  9. WTF is a “swell bar size”?

Lauren on December 25th, 2008 at 10:55 pm
  10. I think it’s a case of the ‘I want it and I want it now’s.
    Symptoms include utter disregard for the important factors such as experience, knowledge, tied with the convenience of them being the closest one near by.
    I’m awful with puns.
    And agreed with the above :\

AmiiMetalFace on December 26th, 2008 at 7:22 am
  11. Shop name, please, so we all know where NOT to go…! This is absolutely terrifying.

Lori St.Leone on December 26th, 2008 at 10:04 am
  12. Lauren - My assumption is that the question is about the size of the initial jewellery for each piercing - i.e. the size that would be used to account for swelling.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Coffee on December 26th, 2008 at 3:49 pm
  13. Coffee - I believe that is precisely what the OP is referring to. The basics of a good apprenticeship will teach you that information.

Tiff Badhairdo on December 27th, 2008 at 8:57 am
  14. Isn’t it difficult to really answer about what sizes to use to accommodate swelling anyways? I’m not a piercer myself but I would assume that ever piercing is different and it would depend on the particular person being pierced as to what size should be used… as in some people have thicker tissues than others, and some know they swell more than others?
    I also second the opinion about avoiding this shop like the plague….

Star on December 27th, 2008 at 3:47 pm
  15. This is one shop im sure 2 go to. hah! yea right.

kell on December 27th, 2008 at 3:51 pm
  16. This is a terrible question. Lucky they did not post the name of the shop. I feel bad for the clients who are the guinea pigs thou, until he concludes adequate size initial bars, it will all be trial and error, and in that sense i feel almost somewhat responsible by not just providing the information.

Kash on January 20th, 2009 at 12:57 am