hip surface piercing or dermal anchor?

«« What is it called?    Modblog Tattoo »»

Tuesday February 10th, 2009 @ 1:34 PM

Filed under: Surface/Unusual

Hey,

I really want to get my hips pierced for my 18th birthday, and i love the look of a surface piercing - where the balls stick out just above the skin. However, it seems that they are almost definetely going to reject and i was wondering if it is possible to get the same effect using dermal anchors.

Also, what would be the approximate difference in price between the two options?

Thankyou.

IMHO, the ONLY advantages surfaces bars have over anchors are:
-Easier to put in and easier to remove.
-One piercing give your two points, which makes it more cost effective.

Aside from those 2 reasons, I have never seen a situation where I felt a surface bar was a better bet than anchors.

Hips are notoriously difficult to heal, to have the best chance possible I’d advise anchors with flat disc ends to heal them.

Posted by Sean Philips | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

28 Responses to “hip surface piercing or dermal anchor?”

1. It shows, that the anchors are not that stable, rejection is notless than for surface bars. A good surface bar feels more stable, and can take more force force before tearing if something gets cought.

Stormchaser on February 11th, 2009 at 4:30 pm
  2. I have had both surface piercing & dermal anchor experience, & although my body rarely rejects piercings, my surface piercings always felt as if they were not fully healed. I opted for dermals on my hips and have only had 1 problem with them, which was catching on my really long nail while pulling my pants up it popped out a bit lol. I was easily able to put it back in, but I would rec getting the piercing high enough so it doesn’t interfere with your pants/ jeans.

I prefer dermals for this area but that’s just my opinion/ experience with both types. Dermals will probably be more expensive since there will be 4 rather than 2 piercings. But as the other person mentioned flat discs for your dermals will be best. That’s what I got & love them.

erica on February 16th, 2009 at 6:13 pm
  3. hey :)

i just got two hip dermals done today. I was going to get the surface but the chance of rejection is rather high but dermals, only have 2% rejection :).
    If your gonna get them, get them, their a nice unusual piercing to have :). Not too painful either.

danielle vass on March 15th, 2010 at 3:49 pm
  4. Anyone who quotes percentages of rejection is making them up on the spot and entirely full of shit, in my opinion - microdermals reject at least as often as surface piercings, and are less able to tolerate knocking around - they can get yanked partially or completely out of the skin pretty easily!

Lori St.Leone on March 17th, 2010 at 10:39 pm
  5. i have dermals on my hips and never had any problems with them what so ever.. they have been hit and pushed around and never budged. i have dermals other places as well and i am getting a design of them done so i would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat.

sammi on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:23 pm
  6. I’m 18, and I just got my left hip dermals put in (only left to save room for a tattoo on the right), and I didn’t experience much pain at all. I got mine done at Just Another Hole in Broken Arrow, OK. It was quick and done very effectively, not to mention that they are beautiful. I haven’t caught mine on anything at all yet. My only complaint is that I’m allergic to the adhesive that are on band aids, and I don’t have a choice but to wear them to keep from a migrating piercing, so the area around them is red and sore. Other than that, I am so happy with them.

Pattycake on May 18th, 2010 at 7:55 pm
  7. I agree that the percentage of rejection cannot really be told accurately, however, surface piercing reject more often and often become more painful in your skin than microdermal anchors. At my shop we refuse to do surface peircings because that is not the right way to do them. Some piercers bend tongue jewelery to adapt to the area, NOT GOOD!! We are constantly removing these. Dermal anchors are highly recomended. Just remember that they to can also reject even months down the line. I have 8 anchors and so far it’s been a year and there still good but no one ever knows for sure. Dermals will leave a much smaller scar and u do not need to hold them in with band-aids when you first get them, that’s only if u feel uncomfortable. It’s best to let them breath and heal.

Ashley on May 26th, 2010 at 5:09 pm
  8. Everyone is diffrent so there really is no reason in seeing other peoples experience with it. I personaly got my hips pierced with a surface bar ( shaped like a staple with a 90 degree angle) the shape of the piercing reduces the force of skink pushing on it.
    My piercings have been there for a year and a half, I run alot and go to plenty of concerts, so wear and tear isn’t always the deciding factor. It all depends on how your body adapts to the piercing.

Ps: if any shop resorts to shaping jewlery to fit the piercing area! That’s just ghetto!! They should just close down because the obviously aren’t proffessional at all.

Ok so in conclusion, just be informed on how many times the artist have done this type of piercing and ask to be shown the type of jewlery, if you decide to get the surface bar because it’s more efficient, ask for the one I described.

An all prices vary by shop, my surface piercings were 30 each and dermals start at 40 but it all depends

betty on July 30th, 2010 at 12:35 pm
  9. I have had hip surface barbells for about five years now and they have been occasionally getting. In the shower a red line sometimes shows up on the skin where the barbell is underneath? Is the life span of my piercings coming to an end? and if I do decide to take out the barbells, will i scar? and can i replace them with dermal anchors?

ESH on September 9th, 2010 at 3:58 pm
  10. and also, if thinking about getting surface barbells, go with dermal anchors. It was a looong six months before mine were fully healed.

ESH on September 9th, 2010 at 3:59 pm
  11. My advice is to get the dermals. I’m 18 and just got a dermal on each side of my hips and they look great. I wanted to get the actually surface piercings on both sides too but the piercer told me that they usually only last about 6 months to a year whereas the dermals last a lot longer.

Courtney on December 28th, 2010 at 5:47 pm
  12. I got my hips pierced last year with bars and i had them for about 4 months before they rejected and I had to take them out. I’m getting them redone in about 2 months but instead I’m getting dermal anchors. What are my chances for those rejecting too?

Taylor on January 30th, 2011 at 5:51 pm
  13. I have my nape pierced (surface) I have heard that dermals hurt a lot, do they hurt more than a surface piercing? In my opinion my nape didnt hurt bad but that is because its pretty quick… In videos I have seen it takes the piercers a long time to get the dermal in.

Kate on March 17th, 2011 at 8:03 pm
  14. I got a dermal on my left hip yesterday. It really didn’t hurt as much as I thought which was such a relief, I’m getting another 1 or 2 on the same hip and then a tattoo on my right hip. I know quite a few people who’ve had surface piercings and they said it hurt quite a bit and they caught them a lot. Some peoples rejected before they were given a chance to heal, others took theirs out because they were causing to much irritation to the skin and they didn’t want to be left with the horrible scars from rejection. I don’t know anyone personally who has dermal piercings so for me it was something totally different. I’m 16 and mine cost £35 and was done within 5 minutes. I have now 8 piercings, 5 in my ears which I done by myself, my tongue and navel. I can honestly say piercing my ears hurt more than the dermal anchors and they’re gorgeous. I’d totally recommend getting these anywhere!

kerri on May 15th, 2011 at 9:02 am
  15. Anchor piercings!!!! i have 4 and they healed so fast! i love em’

Audrey on June 8th, 2011 at 6:46 am
  16. I have hip dermals in and have had them for over a year there good piercings and hardly ever get caught on clothing

Amie on June 29th, 2011 at 7:45 pm
  17. I just got my dermals in my hips about 4 months ago and the left one rejected today. So, it is possible, but it wasn’t really painful or anything, so it wasn’t that bad. Hopefully I can get it back in though!

chelsi on July 29th, 2011 at 5:14 pm
  18. hi, im thinking about getting my hip dermals done. one on each side. but im mixed so im somewhat a thick girl. im not a twig with a cute little beach body. im not sure it’d be very attractive to get them but i really want them. what do you think ?

Valerie on August 5th, 2011 at 10:17 pm
  19. Valerie. You should definitely get them. It doesn’t matter your a bit think. I’m sure your beautiful the way you are. If it’s something you want done go for it. But also think about other risks besides your weight, like rejection, although they are far less likely to reject than a surface piercing. I’m a bit overweight to, and even though most of the time I like myself the way I am I do want to lose some weight. I’m probably getting one on either my left or right hip and am hoping that it will help inspire me to lose weight.

Jackie on October 6th, 2011 at 11:02 am
  20. I am interested in getting either dermal anchors or the surface bar on my side (about rib cage level) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with surface piercings on the side. I also wanted to get them in a circular shape and was wondering if anyone else has done this.

MJ Dubs on October 21st, 2011 at 5:29 am
  21. I’m sixteen years old, and as an early Christmas present, my parents allowed me to get dermal hip piercings. I have two on each of my hips. I, too, have been very curious as to how long they last. Originally, I wanted surface hip piercings, but I read that they reject easily, and I can see why. So I got dermals. The day after I got them done, the bottom left one came halfway out after I got out of school, so I went back to the place that I got it done, and they popped it back in. They’ve been great since. I’ve had them for about two months now, and have had no problems. I love them. I hope that they last a long time. They seem healed, and have for sometime now. I hardly even notice them. They are very stable and do not get caught on objects at all, surprisingly. Although, more expensive, they are far more worth it.

Lottie on November 6th, 2011 at 1:26 am
  22. Also, my dermals did not hurt when I got them done. They stung a bit whenever inserting the jewelry, but that was about it.

Lottie on November 6th, 2011 at 1:28 am
  23. I got my hips pierced with a curved barbell on each side 2 days ago. I love them so much, they look amazing…However I wish I had researched more before and learned that a curved bar isn’t enough and that a surface bar is much better. I’m going to a different shop today and praying to god that they have surface bars that match the length of the curved ones I have in so I could have them replaced. Honestly I think bars aren’t too bad..as long as they are surface bars and you tell your piercer that you want him to make sure he’s anchoring them deep enough….also ask for a 14g…even 12g if they have it. The bigger the gauge. The less chance of rejection.

Lizzy on February 20th, 2012 at 8:39 pm
  24. I have had my surface piercings for about a week now and my piercer did them with the new bioplast or bioplex because being plastic it gives with the movement of your body and less likely to reject they say, can anyone give me any feedback on this and some tips on helping them heal faster?? Ty…;-)

candas on July 6th, 2012 at 12:34 am
  25. Hi I want to get two dermal one on each side of my c-section scare. I was wondering if this is possible and if it would heal correctly ?

Tricia on October 26th, 2012 at 1:25 am
  26. Dermal piercings are illegal in my state, so it’s an easy choice to gk with gettin a surface bar, but I’m scared there going to reject. I’ve never had a problem with it, so I’m gettin a consolation with a local piercer. hopefully this works out

kyra on December 29th, 2012 at 12:46 pm
  27. I really want my hips pierced! I am turning 19 and am 108 pounds, but very curious as to if it would be better to get the bar or the dermal. I’m leaning towards dermal, but scared of rejection and pain. Thoughts??

Annon on August 16th, 2013 at 1:26 am
  28. Should add my pain tolerance isn’t bad, pierced my spider bites by myself.

Annon on August 16th, 2013 at 1:28 am