lip snake bite piercing (infected)?

«« Growing belly    Injured tongue web… »»

Thursday February 19th, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Filed under: Lip/Cheek

ok so i pierced my snake bite 2 days ago i did it myself i pierce everything on my body but anyway its been pussing,swelling,and it looks like the outside of the ring is about to go into my lip and on the inside its like the ring is pushing against my lip and my skin is hovering over the metal part in the back its kinda swore but not really

but i clean it everyday

1.sea salt (1 min)

2.clean it with dial soap

3.rinse my mouth with mouth wash

4.spray the outside with bactine

5.put A&D ointment on the outside!

idk whats wrong! i want it to heal

plz help meee!!!!

The reason your lip may be pussing, swelling and embedding into your lip is very likely from the following reasons:
1. Cleaning your piercing with a very chemical, strong Dial antibacterial soap
2. Rinsing your mouth out with very chemical, strong mouthwash
3. Spraying it with a numbing astringent like Bactine
4. Gumming it up and preventing the wound from breathing by applying A&D ointment on it.
5. You’ve pierced yourself with clearly no knowledge of piercing aftercare which leads me to believe you very likely haven’t done a lot of research into any other technical aspects of body piercing (ie jewelry size and metal quality, oral anatomy and aseptic technique)

I’d see a piercer and have them check out the placement and jewelry choice and completely cease all of your current aftercare procedure save for warm water rinses on the outside of your mouth to remove crusties and practise a regular oral hygeine regime (brush your teeth as per usual) and rinse your mouth out with a mild salt water solution after anything you eat or drink. (And this is only AFTER you’ve ensured you have a piercing that’s done and placed and jewelry is worn even remotely correctly.)

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

24 Responses to “lip snake bite piercing (infected)?”

1. I’m surprised you even knew where to start on how wrong this was… Kudos!

Coffee on February 21st, 2009 at 4:14 pm
  2. I did the same thing too. I pierced my own lip and it started to swell around the stud I put in. The reason why your snake bites are swelling is because they may not have a chance to breathe. I would recommend going to your local piercing place or switching out the studs yourself. The guy who replaced mine had to put a half inch tongue ring in because mine was really swollen.

R on March 10th, 2009 at 4:01 pm
  3. you’re cleaning it too much.

zac on September 1st, 2009 at 10:56 pm
  4. ya first of all u cleaned it way 2 much. and using mouth wash whit any alcohol in it can really mess up ur lip

!snakebites! on November 23rd, 2009 at 10:29 pm
  5. if your lip inside is growing over the post, then its infected, i recomend, cleaning it lesss, and letting it breath more (not so many chemicals)

your mother on December 16th, 2009 at 4:45 pm
  6. I got my snakebites 2 days ago and my bottom lip is pretty big cause of the swelling. How do I reduce it? I’ve been cleaning it, I just really want it to go down, its scaring me >__<

chelseyyy on December 20th, 2009 at 1:31 pm
  7. swelling is normal when you first get the piercing.

dont freak out all you have to do is take some IB profen and eat alot of ice. this helps alot.

chloe on January 6th, 2010 at 9:48 pm
  8. I got my snakebites exactly one week ago, all was good, minimal swelling and i looked after it well. About 3 days ago they got infected, not obvious to the eye its all stuck inside my lip, alot of pressure. should i squeeze the pus out or just leave it there to slowly go away?

Kahem on January 10th, 2010 at 7:15 pm
  9. i-i would like some also

sand on March 21st, 2010 at 3:29 am
  10. i think thay look beautiple..

sand on March 21st, 2010 at 3:30 am
  11. Dont drink alcohol after getting it done like i did it swells really bad also dnt eat of drink anythink dairy 4 a few days that makes it swell 2 x

vicky on March 29th, 2010 at 9:55 pm
  12. Wow. You should probably try taking that out and letting them grow in. Then maybe going to an actual piercer and getting it done. I just got mine done yesterday night. It is a little swollen and has a tiny bit of red bruising on the outside from me accidentally biting the inside but other than that I have no pain whatsoever and that is how it should be.

amanda on May 8th, 2010 at 1:30 am
  13. ok well i have snakebites n i got them about a week or two ago n there doing fine atleast i think but im not sure.. its lyk when i wake up my lip is extreamly swollen and it goes down during the day but not all the way down… it hasent ever gone all the way down yet… and the inside is weird on my left one it looks lyk my peircing is goin into my lip kuz when i move my snakebite theres a dent but no skin has gone oer it thankfully… i do have crust tho which suks n i try to clean it atleast twice a day with salt water tht i bought….. ya so it hurts

dana on August 21st, 2010 at 2:09 pm
  14. Well it’s been two or three days since I got my snake bites done professionally and oh my god my lip is like huge and it won’t go down and it’s like scaring me I don’t know If I should keep them and it’s all going to be ok or should I take them off?? Can someone please let me know.! :)

Blanca :) on November 15th, 2010 at 3:18 am
  15. Swelling is actually okay for the first 6 weeks. (not necessarily common, but it’s typical for people who swell easily). Pus excretion in small amounts is also normal for the first few weeks. Clean with antibacterial, rinse with antiseptic (alcohol free) mouthwash, and eat ice/ take ibuprofen for swelling.

Emily on June 27th, 2011 at 8:41 am
  16. I got my snake bites done, last year in May. The process of healing is simple, non-chemical face wash (Cetaphil is what I used) use antiseptic mouth wash ( non-alcohol based, as in scope) and brush your teeth as normal . Sea salt bacteria spray. Use a face wipe (with no alcohol). And lots of ice, and cold water. Anything Cold, besides coffee, cigs and etc, you should know open mouth wounds, can be easily infected by all three!!!! Common sense, and elementary health.
    Mortrin Migraine IBP formula, for pains and aches. Slight headaches. Any time you see the crusties carefully wipe them away, and let it drain!!! Its part of the process. Let that sucker breath, don’t clog it with tons of ointment, none’s needed.

However, If it’s healing incorrectly such as…crooked, scabbing over inside or out, with puss filled yellow. Swelling of the lip, deep red or peeling. ITS AN INFECTION!! See a piercer, asap, and depending on the Infection will then tell you to see a DOCTOR , and then it’s lots of clamps and tears kids/adults…

BTW … Just acute advice, kids/adults.
    You should never pierce yourself, EVER! Please go to a professional not your/friends bathroom. And never some seedy person who claims they know how to do it for ten bucks! No matter how much “you want”/ think you “need” this piercing or any. The mistakes made, can be fatal and sometime predominately damaging. YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE of the actual equipment and medical technics involved! Your only dooming yourself to some serious infections and gross facial scars. Be safe! Besides Piecers will talk you through the process, and give you valuable information. So your less likely to get infections.

pesky mouse on July 18th, 2011 at 4:02 pm
  17. i got my snakebites done like 3 days ago swollen still

once it goes down im getting studs put in cause i cant eat anything its too painful

Roxxy on September 15th, 2011 at 9:12 pm
  18. I did mines on my own n its been 3 months with no problems

tim on October 21st, 2011 at 1:53 pm
  19. okay so i got mine done like 2 or 3 days ago at my school , the girl looked like she knew what she was doing and the process went good and ever thing very little bleeding . but then my lip blew up when i woke up from my nap so i put ice on it and it went down a little …. but now its caving in from the inside and im scared the im not going to be able to take the rings out .

ghee ! on December 3rd, 2011 at 12:36 pm
  20. To everyone worrying about the swelling it all really depends on how the body deals with the piercing. I have had multiple peircings. I have spiderbites, bridge, two in my tongue, and one where no one should ask about. They all swell I did snakebites myself and they swelled up and tried to close around my rings. This is all normal just don’t let it close on your rings and you will be ok.

Corey on March 14th, 2012 at 2:20 am
  21. hi ive had my snake bites for awhile now ad i have rings in i dryed my face after a shower and ripped it on the inside its fine on the outside but its really sore on the inside i cant take it out as it is swollen how do i reduced the swelling

samantha on May 7th, 2012 at 10:38 pm
  22. well what can i do when the jewel on the outside is sunk into my lip and infected it because i think the piercer put to short of studs in my lip

Lucius on June 19th, 2012 at 1:31 am
  23. well, i have had my snake bites for 3 days now and on the inside of the lip it looks as the backing is going into the lip, its kinda scaring me, and i just wanna know what should i do.. yesterday i completely forgot about the whole (no alcohol) thing so i used my mouthwash and i cleaned it like normal! HELP ME!

Dylan on August 3rd, 2012 at 9:30 am
  24. I am a Cosmetic Surgeon based in mumbai,India. I come across many surgeries like Lip Surgery, Eyelid Surgery etc. Here i want to say that piercing the Lip is not a big issue but caring for it is.Piercings can easily get infected in the first few weeks, so this is the time when you have to be the most meticulous about your cleansing.

Dr. Viral Desai on July 11th, 2013 at 3:03 am