Nape Piercing incorporated into your Lifestyle

«« Septum healing time    Kids ear piercing? »»

Tuesday March 3rd, 2009 @ 4:34 PM

Filed under: BME/HARD, Surface/Unusual

Hi there,

This may seem like a rather random question but I’ve loved surface piercings for years and I’ve never quite found the right one for me until I saw a Nape Piercing on one of the guys that works at Alton Towers. Since that day and to this day I have been dying to get one, but I’ve slept on the idea now for a year and a half and I think I’m ready. My question is this … I have no problems with getting the piercing and looking after it, but I’m wanting to know what problems I might run into with it in my lifestyle, and if it would be detrimental for me. I’m an actor, and I don’t have a problem with the fact that “it will be visible for all auditions and what not”. My problem is that I’m still in training and we do lots of physical activities, and I do lots of physical activities as it is anyway. If I’m rolling around on the floor, and having to do backwards rolls, and neck rolls even once it’s healed, am I going to cause it severe irritation and/or stretching?

I’m also a big fan of water slides … what kinds of problems would this pose, or it just a case of being careful and covering up when necessary ??

Any information is greatfully received. I’m planning on getting it done at the beginning of the Easter Holidays so it has three weeks to get properly healed, but I’m going to Tenerife for a week and visiting a water park … Just doing my research and looking for answers!

Avid fan,

Robert J Southworth

Napes are pretty durable surface piercings when healed fully. I’d probably do it with a 10 ga flat titanium surface bar with flush disc ends and not too long of a length to assure the most durable piercing possible.

Posted by Sean Philips | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

7 Responses to “Nape Piercing incorporated into your Lifestyle”

1. I’ve had my nape for about 6 years now. Have never had a huge problem when it came to physical activities and such. Honestly I usually forget its even there unless, in the very rare case, it gets snagged on a towel/shirt tag/etc. I’ve always had ball ends on my barbells and it barely gets snagged, so with flat discs you should even have less of a chance.

good luck.

trailerparkjesus on March 3rd, 2009 at 11:28 pm
  2. The idea of getting ANY piercing caught on a waterslide makes me cringe o_O

Xenobiologista on March 4th, 2009 at 9:30 pm
  3. To be honest im a body piercer myself and with surface piercings you have to be highly carefuly with as this is the most common piercing i’ve found that can get infections due to shampoo and sleeping on it and stuff, to be honest you should know that ANY surface piercing is likely to rejct out of your skin, to be honest your best bet would be looking at getting two dermal anchors - much more durable than a surface!

Sophie on October 15th, 2009 at 1:27 pm
  4. I disagree with sophie, about the dermal anchors. These sometimes tend to fall out at the begining of the healing part when there is to much pressure on them

so for a nape piercing, considering sleeping, towls and others, i would be very very carefull. But, if healed, they are better then a surface bar.

DuncanD on January 6th, 2010 at 1:07 am
  5. i have a nape peircing and have had no problems with it. watch out for halter neck bikini strings and apron ties. Once healed doing neck rolly polly’s or whatever shouldnt be a problem.

steph on February 2nd, 2010 at 6:31 am
  6. Aware that this post is from a little while back but i’ll answer on it just in case.

There is a high infection/rejection rate with all surface piercings, which is why I prefer microdermal anchors over them any day. You can use microdermals to create the illusion of a surface piercing, but they have a pretty fast healing time, low rejection rate, and everyone I know has had a good experience with them.

Also, I was recently talking to a doctor friend of mine about piercings and they said the most common piercings they’re bothered by are nape piercings, as they are so close to the spinal cord and brain stem, and infection in the piercing could easily spread there.

Since there is a lower risk of infection with microdermals and in this instance I believe they would be less invasive, I think that would be the safer option. Especially if your going to be going on water slides with dozens of other peoples filth floating around in it. Remember to dry it off!

I would opt for flat/non-protruding jewelry at least while you’re engaging in things like “neck rolls”.

In conclusion, for your particular situation, I say go for microdermals. :]

Good luck!

Kaysie on May 28th, 2010 at 1:14 am
  7. Ive had 2 nape piercings for about 5 years now. They are indeed quite durable and don’t get in the way at all. Water slides, Gym, changing clothes, etc; never really had a problem with them. The only thing I’ll add is I cant really wear chokers/collar style necklaces with them.

Dan on June 2nd, 2010 at 10:16 am