Temp Remove bars?

«« Microdermal anchors    Microdermals vs. Surface bars on hip and nape area »»

Wednesday April 29th, 2009 @ 4:55 PM

Filed under: Nipple

I have had my nipples (male) pierced for about 5 months now. I love them, and dont want to lose the piercing since it has been healing very well, and I very much enjoy them. Now that its getting really warm outside, I want to start rock climbing and bouldering. Since these activities leaves the potential of taking rather hard shots to the chest… scraping on rock, things like your shirt catching on the jewelry…

So my question is - is it possible to take out the bars for 2 hours and still be able to get them back in (on a regular basis)?

You will be the best judge of whether your piercings are healed enough to remove them for short periods of time or not. To be sure and have a second opinion, have a trusted professional piercer check them out in person to judge how deep they are and whether they look like they can withstand this practice at this point. Everyone heals at different paces, but generally speaking nipple piercings take quite a bit longer to heal than above-the-neck piercings.

Rather than removing them, you may want to consider simply changing the jewelry to something that will be less likely to catch on things (ie. small, fitted barbells with small beads). This will likely be your safer option if you don’t want to lose your piercings.

Posted by Russ Foxx | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

7 Responses to “Temp Remove bars?”

1. I’d suggest leaving them in and covering them with a band-aid when you’re doing something where you’re worried that they’ll catch.

That’s what I’ve ended up doing when I wear clothing that might catch or be uncomfortable (I’m a girl, so my nipple piercings tend to move around a certain amount when I’m not wearing a bra). As long as I use a large enough band-aid, it’s worked well for me.

Silent-Fire on April 29th, 2009 at 8:51 pm
  2. Perhaps by patching them with a tight soft island dressing for the activity as well as using barbells with 3 or 4mm ends will help minimise any impact damage you get to the area.

Kashina on May 1st, 2009 at 12:13 am
  3. After they’re well healed, if they’re 10ga or larger, you could look into getting some silicone skin eyelets (http://www.kaossoftwear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23&zenid=6a4d113cf450320f5082bbc7eef96789)

It seems like they wouldn’t damage your piercings as much in the event of a blow to the chest.

Lacie on May 1st, 2009 at 1:41 pm
  4. What diameter are you pierced at? I recommend admitting to everyone you’ve got yourself pierced. I wear d-rings which go up and down ok - but that took almost 2 years. I certainly don’t recommend taking a six month old nipple piercing out for a full days climbing - the pain of re-piercing yourself each night will attract attention simply from either the pain cries or length of time you give or take in the toilet.

Nipples take a long time to heal properly. Repiercing everynight will only help you to lose them.

Hopefully you have better friends than I do. If not, shortest length bar and smallest end balls possible are the way forward.

And if you’ve gone bigger than 1.6mm guage, your choices are even less.

But any which way, surely the risk of scraping your nipples will just make sure you hang on to the rock harder? I climbed for over 20 years before getting my nipples pierced. never once did I scrape them - even when falling off topless on gritstone. It’s only since the piercing that I’ve worried about things like that.

Have you heard the story about the British climber who climbed an impossible route with his harness just a noose around his testicles? Surprisingly enough, he didn’t fall.

If you want any more encouragement, let me know!

Leachkinbrae on May 4th, 2009 at 2:45 pm
  5. Other thoughts..

I know that my body closes up healed holes fast.. Even piercings that I’ve had for years.. So I’d say to go with the well fitted barbells.

james m on May 6th, 2009 at 12:06 am
  6. Buy some ‘nippits’ (nipple concealment strips)they cover the nipple snuggly and peel off easily if you put a little talc on first.

Nic on May 20th, 2009 at 7:16 pm
  7. Get checked first, suggest not. I had mine out for 24 hrs (had piercing for 7 months) and could not get barbell back in. Had to go to piercer and have it re-pierced. Not back to square one, but still not good idea.

fellowpiercer on September 28th, 2009 at 1:12 am