Tongue Split Question

«« my not so cute navel issues.    toungue splitting »»

Saturday May 30th, 2009 @ 4:20 PM

Filed under: Non-Surgical

Dear BME. i am intrested in tongue splitting i have been for some time now. and since i am currently under the legal age to be done by a piercer and i cannot wait till im 18.(i know i should wait to see if i mature bla bla nonsence:)) anyway i have decided to just pierce my tongue and then use the binding method.what i was wondering is do i have too bind over a few weeks or even a few days of time..or could i if i could handle the pain could i bind it over one nights time? has anyone ever done that? thanks:)

I had considered not posting this- usually things like this I just delete.
But to illustrate the point why people generally get frustrated with younger people interested in body modification, I chose to just let’er rip.

First off, you misspelled nonsense. Secondly, you’ve shown a lack of any sort of responsibility that would in any way, shape or form make me want to give you any advice.

When I say “ugh… kids today”… this is who I mean.

Posted by Shawn Porter | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

36 Responses to “Tongue Split Question”

1. I am looking to have my tongue split, and am finding it increasingly hard to locate anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area that is willing to do this procedure. I am not a person who can cut on himself so I need the assistance of someone. I would like to know if it is something that can be done by anyone with a steady hand? or should I keep looking? Second is there anywhere to order a cauterizing tool for a reasonable price?

Kurt Rotcavich on June 3rd, 2009 at 11:56 pm
  2. please grow up and think about this! there are good reasons why body mod artists don’t perform work like this on anyone under 18. and if you are really thinking of doing that to yourself enjoy the horrible infection and pain you inflict on yourself before failing.
    you give modified young people a bad name. some of us are sensible enough to wait until we are of legal age to get pierced/tattooed by professionals in clean surroundings using sterile jewlery and equiptment, we dont all pierce ourselves with saftey pins on youtube!

Duckie on June 4th, 2009 at 5:29 pm
  3. You forgot using sentence fragments, not capitalizing sentences, misusing “too” and just being a dumbass. This makes me sad to be a teenager.

You should not be allowed to reproduce. Seriously, BME is a great website. Try reading it before you do something stupid.

Rachel on June 4th, 2009 at 5:38 pm
  4. Just being the devil’s advocate here, but…English might not be his/her first language.

Either way, Mr Porter’s response was warranted >_>

ara on June 4th, 2009 at 7:23 pm
  5. I was under 18 when I got my DIY tongue split and people like this seem to wreck it for everyone. It makes it hard to beleive that there are thoughtful youths into researching a mod before they hop on the boat. And frankly, it’s tiring!

Also, don’t you have to be a member to post questions? That’s what I don’t get the most. That these people have access to answer these questions themselves if they would just look instead of waiting to get it answered for them!

katy prost on June 5th, 2009 at 12:21 pm
  6. It annoys me seeing kids doing these things to their bodies when in fact a majority of them will just regret it in the next year or so. I’ve seen so many kids in my area who started stretching their lobes so quickly and then decide they don’t want them anymore or getting the most ridiculous tattoo’s ’cause you know, obviously, it’s soooooooooooooo cool. Annoying -.-

Catherine on June 6th, 2009 at 4:24 am
  7. I think advice would have been a better path on this inquiry. At some point, admit it or not, we were once similar to this person.

Tim on July 9th, 2009 at 12:58 am
  8. does one have to spell properly in order to appreciate or want a mod? i assume this person is going to go ahead with it anyways, why not offer some healthy advice rather than bash them in the head for spelling improperly or being young.

steven kelly on July 16th, 2009 at 10:36 am
  9. No. They don’t have to spell properly.
    Why not offer different advice?
    Because my advice wouldn’t be appreciated. They don’t want advice. They want a “how to” which they’ll likely not listen to anyway. I would rather have them do harm to themselves without my advice than with the shield of “Shawn Porter said to…”
    It’s not their age or their grammar. It’s their attitude.

Shawn Porter on July 16th, 2009 at 9:38 pm
  10. I am piercer and i know all to well how the usual DIY piercings go (and that is piercings NOT tongue splitting). Chances are this person will eventually need to seek some kind of care and advice from a professional from doing the tongue splitting themselves. This is why we get an education and license! People that do this type of extremely invasive procedure themselves are setting themselves up for disaster and are making body modification artists look bad. If you want to do it yourself because you cant afford it, SAVE YOUR MONEY, GET A JOB. If it is that important to you and something that you feel will make you happy then it is worth the wait.

Jennifer Tamburlin on August 1st, 2009 at 4:01 pm
  11. Trying to split your own tongue is ridiculous enough, but does this kid realize that death can be gotten from messing up piercing your own tongue?

Tracy Toothman on August 26th, 2009 at 3:20 am
  12. I’m 17 years old and have had ALL of my piercings and modifications done by experienced professionals. I have a REAL JOB where I’m actually able to keep my modifications. Kids like you make me mad and make all of us younger modified people look like shit! My artist who I’m planning on apprenticing for later will even do it for me now but I’m still going to wait until I’m actually of age, probably older! Grow up and wait because there is absolutely no reason that you “cannot wait” until you are 18, unless you have another stupid friend who’s trying to beat you to the punch and you feel it absolutely necessary to be the first one to “look cool” and piss off mommy and daddy.

Angie on September 27th, 2009 at 5:00 am
  13. Tounge splitting does require surgery.
    any little mistake you do by yourself can have devistating effects on the rest of your body. You could damage your taste-buds or you speech, or anything. Also, your mouth has more bacteria than a toilet, So… i would assume that you will get serious infections(obvi.).what if the doctor has to perform an amputation. Is this worth losing your tounge? Just wait and find someone to do it professionally. Doing this would be extremely dangerous.. and just a really dumb idea.

Righ? on October 3rd, 2009 at 8:47 am
  14. What the kid posted was ridiculous, get it professionally done. You’re not ‘cool’ or what ever doin’ it yourself. I’m 13. Anyway. I agree what most of you are saying, they are just SHEEP. Fucking stupid sheep.

Katie on November 5th, 2009 at 4:59 am
  15. I have been reserching this for a while not because I want to do it becasue i am only 13 but because i would really like to undetstand why people do this sort of a thing but really this is a form of art! People do these things becasue they are passoinate about body moidifcation. Well i would never do it but no one should criticize what people choose to do with there on body. I have my nose pirced and i love it but it was my choice even though my mother had a say in it. But what i am trying to get at is that think about it before you do it but also if you want to do it go for it i mean you only live once but make sure you no for sure you want it before you do extreme body modification! I hope this helps some people with there desicion!

Marielle on December 23rd, 2009 at 12:34 am
  16. First off, why is this filed under “non-surgical”? (It’s surgical because you’re cutting flesh, even if it’s not a knife that you’re pulling through it.)

Second, DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. I don’t care how much you think you know what you’re doing. It will be safer and even look better if you go to a professional.

I know what I’m doing. I’ve done tongue splits on other people. Doing it on yourself is NOT the same thing. I found this out the hard way when I couldn’t find someone in my area to do mine and opted to do it on my own. I knew what I was doing so I didn’t have any issue with infection or any other disastrous results but it could have healed faster and with less effort and looked a little better if I had decided to fly out of my locale to get it done. The people who I’ve preformed this procedure on have had nothing but excellent results and good healing- my result was good but not as good as it could have been and the healing and aftercare was more time consuming than they experienced.

Doing this on yourself with knowledge and experience is a rather daft gamble… bisecting your tongue without- that’s absurdly foolish and is practically asking for it.

Raine on February 2nd, 2010 at 10:19 pm
  17. As someone who until recently was underage for piercings, I can understand to a certain degree the whole “can’t wait” feeling, however, maturity is the ability to reason with this feeling. There are also just certain procedures you SHOULD wait for, ones that tend to be considered “permanent”, things such as micro-dermals or a tongue split, even tattoos. Now, I have asked my piercer about this because he has had his tongue split twice, he said the way that will normally stay healed split best is the scalpel method, he tried the binding method and he stopped because it was so painful and barely had a result, which then healed up mostly anyways. Another piercer from the same shop also tried the binding method and also gave up because of the pain. Both of these people are professionals and even they would NEVER self scalpel them selves. So really, think, if two piercing professionals who are VERY well endowed with their fair share of holes in all places you can imagine couldn’t bind, why do you really think you can? Because you’re so hardcore? Let me tell you something, I self pierced once, my snakebites, and while I had taken the time to study with piercers and I made sure everything was sterile through autoclave, not all teens think this way and that is why so many end up with infections, then in the hospital and then as the national example as to why body mods are bad. Do you really want to ruin it for everyone else when you mess it up? Most piercers I know won’t even self pierce their own tongue. So really, grow up.

Jessie on February 20th, 2010 at 12:16 pm
  18. Is there ANYWHERE that does ‘tongue-splitting’ procedures in Australia?… I HAVE wanted to get it done for about 4 years now… PLEASE reply!!

Dennis on April 29th, 2010 at 4:32 am
  19. Wow. I understand that acts like trying to split your own tongue with ZERO training or education are ridiculous, hazardous, and will reflect badly on the community, but will slathering this young person with so much venom serve any good? What is the goal of humiliating them? At least they are reaching out for advice. As professional piercers and people who are passionate about body modification, maybe the better stance would be to let the initial shock of this go and give this person some solid advice that won’t completely cut them down. Advice that will empower them to make a healthy and informed decision rather than leave them feeling like a piece of shit (which will most likely lead to them continuing to treat their body like a piece of shit). Show this person some respect and maybe they will follow suit.

miriam on May 13th, 2010 at 10:07 pm
  20. First of all were all people we can do what ever the fuck we want we have that choice . Whether young or old but to be honest whatever age its a good idea to at least take a year or more to think about body modification thats what i did . Im 19 I have 2 tattoos 1 eyebrow percing not what you’d say hardcore tattoo or percing person , but im still intrested in tongue splitting . Why you may ask , first it makes me stick out not another bot . Second I think its really cool just the sight of a tongue splitt . Last , Its something diffrent from what most people have such as tattoos or percings . The point is have reasons before you decide to do something your gonna regret . Do things out of sense not nonsense . Much love john

John on July 21st, 2010 at 10:29 pm
  21. i have been considering getting my tongue split for a long time. now the only thing im waiting on is the cash to pay it and, a doc willing to do it.

GORWOP on July 25th, 2010 at 8:39 pm
  22. amen Shawn.

analsqueeze on August 4th, 2010 at 11:58 pm
  23. wow thank god for people like miriam who actually think about things rather than just reading the post and automatically thinking to slate the person, jesus i’m 17 and am mature enough to know what i want, just let the guy do what he wants to do, give him some credit for asking advice first from you guys.. fack people

fluffyy on August 11th, 2010 at 7:18 pm
  24. right so i had my tongue split just over a week ago..
    its all cool and healed but was just wondering if it can be split any firther back? beacuse my webbing seems really tight when i lift my tongue..
    any answers will help!
    peace

liam on September 20th, 2010 at 7:47 pm
  25. This kind of thing is why i keep my prices down. They have laws for a reason sweetie and doing it yourself is rediculous. I dont want to see anyone getting rushed to the ER because they wanted something mom and dad wouldn’t sign for. You have your whole life ahead of you and once you hit 18 it will have been worth the wait. Don’t do piercings because they are what’s “in.” Chances are you will regret them later if that is your only reasoning.

Miss.ButtonLips on January 4th, 2011 at 3:36 pm
  26. Binding is actually one of the ways TO DIY split a tongue without the possible risk of, say, bleeding out in your bathroom floor. Using a scalpel to split your own tongue is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard. PROFESSIONALS have trouble with the bleeding. Anyways, with binding, you ARE NOT going to be able to bind it in one night, or even a couple days. You’re not some exception to everyone else who’s tried it. And, the sad part is, you haven’t done ANY research. It’s obvious from your lack of knowledge on the subject. So, for everyone’s sake, I just wouldn’t do it. Do some research, act like you’re over 8. (:

Alexandria on March 1st, 2011 at 2:18 pm
  27. To answer Liam’s question, you do have the option to do a deeper tongue splitting. What you need to do is find a reputable body modification artist who has experience with tongue frenectomy procedures, a.k.a. tongue webbing removal, to allow the extra slack for a further split. Some artists offer this service at the same time as a split. Enjoy round two!

SirPerrald on July 17th, 2011 at 5:27 pm
  28. Must your tongue be stitched up afterwards or will it be fine if you decide not to get stitches afterwards?

Gustav on August 24th, 2011 at 7:57 am
  29. I found this page through doing research on tongue splitting as I am considering getting one myself. I have to say the vast majority of replies to the original poster have been disgusting, why is there such a need to be so venomous and patronising to someone? The time spent typing out criticisms could of been spent giving advice. No one was born with a great knowledge of body modification and i’m sure most people have at some point had a degree of naivety so surely it is best to give considered advice rather than just jump on someone.

Sandra on September 24th, 2011 at 6:08 pm
  30. Wow Lol Some PPl Look Down On “freaks” Like My Self LOL But Body Mods Are A Persons Choice, A Choice To Stand Out Diffrent From Others, I Did Alot Of My Own Piercings My Self When I Was Young I Do Not Have My Toung Split But I DO Have My Own Mods That I Love Very Much =) I Am A Certifed Tattoo And Peircer And Toung Spliting Has Risks You Have To Make Sure You Study Alot About Where The Veins Are And Get The Profession Tools And Starlization To Do It, And I Wouldnt Attempt It Yourself BC The Risks Of Fainting And SO On, Study Up And Make Sure Im Sure Youll Find Someone to Do It =) GoodLuck

nikki on November 1st, 2011 at 3:27 pm
  31. I’ve been piercing and stretching since I was fifteen. People like dis bitch make me angry.

Zimmet Zombie on November 12th, 2011 at 12:52 am
  32. How can I access my old bmeworld website, send/receive email through bmeworld.com and update my old site? I was told it would be free access for life and I would like to update it.

Kevin Reid

inky@bmeworld.com
    kreid@hotmail.com
    sleeved@aol.com

Kevin Reid on June 26th, 2012 at 2:10 am
  33. iam so wanting to get my tounge split i have it pierced atm but want something more iam very much so it body mod just havent done much yet but i want to bad

apollonia on July 28th, 2012 at 12:48 am
  34. Does anyone know someone in Cleveland that will do breast inflation injection with saline on a male?

Jessica on April 3rd, 2013 at 11:59 pm
  35. so i AM 16 years old and i have had my tongue split via this method to see it look at my youtube channel and i will be uploading a vid on youtube about my experience soon and i will cover these details youre asking for

Tyson Scott on May 18th, 2013 at 8:01 am
  36. hi. I have just done all the research on tongue splitting now I am just after how to actually get it done here in Sydney or somewhere in NSW? anyone here that is like just underage where the did you get it done??? tell me please!
    EMAIL ME: monmonzrox95@hotmail.com