Tongue Web Infection?

«« does a bad habit hurt in the long run?    ink allergy or infection »»

Monday October 19th, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

Filed under: Tongue

I’ve had my tongue webbing pierced for about 5 weeks now, a week ago i noticed where it was pierced there were two big red bumps forming. They then started to turn really red and there is alot of “white stuff” there as well. i went to see my piercer but she said everything was normal after taking a brief look in my mouth. Im rather worried about it, i think its infected.

This can often happen with tongue web piercings if the web itself is non-existant and the piercing is basically an under-the-tongue surface piercing or if saliva glands have been punctured. Excessive redness and swelling can also be attributed to poor aftercare advice including mouthwash.
Sending in a picture for this kind of thing is very beneficial.

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

17 Responses to “Tongue Web Infection?”

1. I had mine done about 5 weeks ago as well and I also noticed some irritated/swollen bumps around the piercing site. I am also freaking out. But if you say it’s normal then I’ll keep doing what I’m doing. There’s also some white stuff coming from both sides.

Miranda on October 18th, 2010 at 11:44 pm
  2. I have mine done too! I also have white stuff come out the side, it kind of scares me, it doesn’t hurt.. just looks gross; any idea what it is?

Britttt on October 29th, 2010 at 10:42 pm
  3. I got mine done too. but puss comes out when piercings are healing so it probably means it’s healing. I was told to rinse with mouthwash (WITHOUT alcohol) and salt water, and mine has been fine. :)

Amanda on November 22nd, 2011 at 11:40 pm
  4. I got my webbing done well over a year ago, maybe even 2, and every once and a while it still gets infected (it is right now). Just try keep your bar or ring clean from plaque (as that’s what generally ends up making mine infected again because I haven’t cleaned it enough) and gargle salt water and/or use mouth wash. Should be fine, and the red lumps should ease.
    The white stuff is most probably puss, Britt.

Frances on March 3rd, 2012 at 8:39 pm
  5. i got my tongue web pierced about 2 months ago, about 2 weeks ago large bump started to form on my left side of under my tonger(were the piercing is) and then a couple days later some puss (not alot) started comming out.. the swellin went down but not much. what should i do?

katherine on September 25th, 2012 at 3:44 am
  6. I pierced my tongue web myself about 5 months ago and this morning i saw a large overgrown piece of skin? On my right side. It looks extremly swollen.

Violet on December 1st, 2012 at 2:08 pm
  7. I got my tongue webbing peirced about a month ago and I’ve just started to notice white bumps on either side, apparently it’s a keloid lump and if you clean it with mouth wash / salt water it will clear up, buying some tomorrow myself. :)good luck!

Corina on January 2nd, 2013 at 8:51 am
  8. I got mine done like 3 days now and I had the white rim and I went to the piercer and he just said its plague, and later that day I got a cotton bud and some sea salt and just cleaned and removed it.

Mims on January 2nd, 2013 at 5:03 pm
  9. I got mine done like 3 days now and I had the white rim and I went to the piercer today and he just said its plague, and later that day I got a cotton bud and some sea salt and just cleaned and removed it.

Mims on January 2nd, 2013 at 5:04 pm
  10. I got my tongue web pierced a few weeks ago and it hasn’t healed yet and it’s has these bums around iit like every where under my longue, & I don’t know what to do ?

Susan on January 23rd, 2013 at 8:18 am
  11. I pierced my web myself a day ago and I showed it to my friend. when she said it looked infected and it had white pussy stuff all around it. She has her tounge pierced so I believed her. I got warm salt water with a Cotten ear bud and dipped one end in the salty water. I cleaned the web both sides and now it’s allright :) also try and clean your teeth everyday because plaque can get in it :/ this will help

Megan on January 23rd, 2013 at 12:43 pm
  12. ive had mine for over 5 months now. i have a large barbell but ive never had any problems until now. I clean it everyday, but recently its gotten swollen and gross. No messed up skin growth so its not migrating. Im thinking its infected, but any advice and will it heal?

Jacinta on February 25th, 2013 at 3:58 am
  13. i pierced my own 2 days ago and it seems to be healing fine. i also have the puss stuff coming out, i just wipe it off with a cotton swab and then use mouthwash. i also use mouthwash after eating/drinking anything.

molly on May 8th, 2013 at 9:29 pm
  14. I got my piercing about 5 months now and for a month or so I noticed a big white bump on one of the sides. How do i get rid of it? It looks disgusting and im embarrassed to show my piercing now. HELP!

Shiane on July 4th, 2013 at 5:50 pm
  15. I had a friend pierce mine about 3 days ago. And under my tongue kinda looks like it’s coming up and detaching from the bottom of my mouth. Wth.

aly on July 6th, 2013 at 1:29 am
  16. I got my tongue Web more than a week ago and a reddish bump forming and a little bit of “white stuffs” coming out , it also hurts, a scale of 1 too 10 it’s about a 5

Billie on July 22nd, 2013 at 5:52 pm
  17. I also got my tongue web pierced about a month ago, and i noticed like a white groth only on one of the sides, but i just left it, and really did’t worry about it, but today i woke up, and there is a huge bump on only that side, i looked it up, and i think it may be a keloid or an infection D: someone help me. how do i get rid of it?
    is it an infection?