Pissed about Piercing

«« tragus + labret stud    Disrespectful receptionist »»

Sunday December 27th, 2009 @ 3:33 PM

Filed under: Tongue

I went to a piercer the other day to get my tongue pierced and he informed me i cant get it done because the blood vessel goes straight down the middle of my tongue. I am mad that i could not get it done but i have been looking up different ways online to get around it and i was wondering which one would be best.

1. Getting it done slightly off- center… i am just concerned that people would be able to see that it is really off center and it would look wierd.

2. Getting my tongue pierced horizontally instead of vertically… i am concerned that it will be more painful and harder to get used to.

3. Getting my tongue pierced on both sides.

what would you as a piercer recommend?

Honestly, it’s quite rare I’d turn a tongue piercing away because a blood vessel was in the way. For larger veins, they can often be rolled aside for the piercing and for smaller ones simply pierced through. Don’t be afraid of a second opinion.

Horizontal tongue piercing is a horrible idea, in my opinion. Piercing both individually moving sides of the tongue together and the potential damage caused to the teeth just doesn’t make sense to me. And there are some serious blood vessels throughout the tongue that would be just about impossible to avoid.

Two tongue piercings (commonly called “venom” piercings) are a great alternative to a center tongue piercing and are becoming increasingly popular lately for aesthetic reasons alone.

Posted by Lexci Million | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

5 Responses to “Pissed about Piercing”

1. i had t have my tongue pierced at a very slight angle to avoid a blood vessel, you can hardly tell and it sits very comfortably.
    id say talk to another piercer.

blackroses on December 28th, 2009 at 4:10 pm
  2. infact it took me 5 piercers before i found one who could do mine :)

blackroses on December 28th, 2009 at 4:10 pm
  3. Absolutely right, BUT rare does not mean it could be impossible. We all come across those few tongues that should not be pierced. All the more reason to get a second opinion, but none to get snabby or angy (I’d be glad they’d atleast cared enough not to just take their chances - i’ve seen plenty that would.. And it’s not a pretty sight, miss).

I wouldn’t go slightly off-center, because - and that goes for venoms too - of the higher risk of damaging your teeth. Risks that can be minimalized by going to reputable artist, but should be condidered regardlessly. And yes, it could be eventhough it’s rare you won’t be suited to safely get those done either. I’m sorry!

Horizontal and ‘’surface” is just a bad idea all together.

Tirza Kurenai on January 1st, 2010 at 11:15 pm
  4. I have two tongue piercings. The first was done by a piercer who had a good reputation despite being absolutely rubbish. She aligned the top opening with the centre of my tongue, but the bottom about 1cm to the side. (Think venom piercing with the top opening in the very centre of my tongue.) The asymmetry of this initially bothered me a lot, which is why I decided to get a second two years later. I went to a great piercer and asked her to duplicate the botch job towards the other side. I have had my piercings for almost 13 and 11 years respectively and they have given me no problems. The moral of my story is that it doesn’t really matter how your tongue is pierced, as long as it is done safely. Anything goes as long as you can take pride in it. With reference to horizontal tongue piercings, keep in mind that they will very significantly affect your ability to speak as many sounds are made by a manipulation of the tongue’s tip.

Christo on April 10th, 2010 at 2:16 am
  5. That happened to me… On the 19th birthday I went to get my tongue pierced and they said I had a tiny vein in the way do they wouldn’t do it. I was SO mad =[.

Caity on September 16th, 2010 at 1:23 pm