Preparing for an apprenticeship

«« Scuba Diving with Wooden Plugs    microdermals vs. skin divers? »»

Tuesday April 27th, 2010 @ 1:36 AM

Filed under: Culture

Hi, my piercing artist said they’ll be having an opening for an apprentice soon and for me to apply when I’m ready. I’m taking a Bloodborne Pathogens, First Aid, CPR, and AED class, to start. I’m thinking of buying a few books or other media to read up on. Any recommendations on books/media or other ways to prepare for an apprenticeship?

Thanks!

“How to win friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie. Any books on conflict resolution and organizational management. There’s a lot more to being a piercer than putting holes in people for money!

Posted by Shawn Porter | Permalink | Leave a comment | Trackback

8 Responses to “Preparing for an apprenticeship”

1. I never thought of that, thanks!
    What about health books or guides, like the NEHA’s Body Art moral code and guideline book… It’s $99.
    Perhaps I’m trying to over-prepare.

MissMary on April 27th, 2010 at 8:19 am
  2. i know personally i just let my apprentice go because of his lack of people skills….

Jacob Sigg on April 27th, 2010 at 12:42 pm
  3. I agree with u shawn.

abby on April 27th, 2010 at 5:25 pm
  4. I would advise you to learn as much as possible about customer service as well. Bedside manner counts a lot.

JJ Harris on May 1st, 2010 at 3:02 pm
  5. It would also be a good idea to read “The Piercing Bible” by Elaine Angel, of course “Modern Primitives” and any other material like old PFIQs if you can find them. Its really important to recognize the pioneers of our industry and know the history. It would probably be in your best interest to look into taking some small business courses as well

piercerguy on May 4th, 2010 at 3:43 pm
  6. It would also be a good idea to read “The Piercing Bible” by Elaine Angel, of course “Modern Primitives” and any other material like old PFIQs if you can find them. Its really important to recognize the pioneers of our industry and know the history. It would probably be in your best interest to look into taking some small business courses as well

John on May 6th, 2010 at 12:01 pm
  7. hiya theren i really want to get into the piercing trade but im not to sure how to go about it, ive been in touch with my local piercing shop but all they could offer me was this website and i don’t really know much about it, i was woundering if there was any info you had that could help me. im from the uk and im willing to pay for any courses or equipment if you could get back in touch it would be brilliant. thanks

terence thompson on May 18th, 2010 at 5:36 am
  8. I start my apprenticeship tomorrow, I’m a combination of nervous and very excited, I’m not really sure what to expect. Nice to find a little info here!

Lauren on June 10th, 2010 at 12:21 am